Oak Tree Management Recommendations?

stevelucocq

Hi,

Any management recommendations for the future of this oak tree would be appreciated. A prolific ArbTalker has already given me some good management recommendations (Thanks!) but was interested in what other people think.

The tree is highly visible from a visitors centre with two bunkhouses underneath the tree. The organisation responsible for the bunkhouses is looking into changing the use for public rental. They are concerned about public safety and require a supporting report with management recommendations for a change of use application with the Local Planning Authority.

I am not looking into others to do my work for me but trying to produce the best recommendations for the tree whilst maintaining a sensible level of public safety. Please find attached photographs of the tree.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.:thumbup1:

Steve

IMG_0119-Optimized.jpg.7f9f6ebdce940cedb56c5f87573dd5f9.jpg

IMG_0129-Optimized.jpg.67044def58495e58d8e21c0e362911c2.jpg

IMG_0115-Optimized.jpg.8d7335643b82b04ba23d9d6f08376f23.jpg

IMG_0110-Optimized.jpg.caf2b2c44e8ffc7048aaab670bed261f.jpg

IMG_0122-Optimized.jpg.3677272ed07cfd9ca24dbd3318890385.jpg

IMG_0114-Optimized.jpg.609971977d573b255c1eb520885634de.jpg

IMG_0078-Optimized.jpg.5d0413870ef208d716100069ca9c2fe3.jpg

IMG_0077-Optimized.jpg.dbefec1369d0245fce75d184101d661b.jpg

IMG_0128-Optimized.jpg.b8dfaa2ac79c69f0d8cfbe94bdbde640.jpg

IMG_0112-Optimized.jpg.b5e89e7b9f1cb5c01d4c149af8c119a1.jpg

IMG_0107-Optimized.jpg.53005e0df9395ea0e8f9682bb7fddc75.jpg

IMG_0081-Optimized.jpg.283ae93040e5e252fb6c13a538f98eb2.jpg

IMG_0075-Optimized.jpg.9cba861c0d545205fa0974be272a252c.jpg

Edited by stevelucocq

If there are no major defects I'd probably not recommend any works. I'd see no reason to reduce defect free branches. The main risk as I see it would be further unexpected limb failures (summer branch drop?) and the damage from this would be limited to the relatively minor damage to the roof and pretty unforesable.

Only a small part of the canopy overhangs that footpath and I am assuming it is of pretty light usage. If theres no defects above the path then there are no real issues to address. Just remove or reduce any major dead wood.

If there are no major defects I'd probably not recommend any works. I'd see no reason to reduce defect free branches. The main risk as I see it would be further unexpected limb failures (summer branch drop?) and the damage from this would be limited to the relatively minor damage to the roof and pretty unforesable.

Only a small part of the canopy overhangs that footpath and I am assuming it is of pretty light usage. If theres no defects above the path then there are no real issues to address. Just remove or reduce any major dead wood.

I'd agree, as any reduction/retrenchment works will lead to possible weak epicormic &/or advantitious growth in the future.

Possibly spec in an annual climbing inspection.

Bit ott, but should keep the developement of any structural issues under close observation.

plus nice job for someone :thumbup:

In my mind the most important thing here would be securing 'tree friendly' tenants, otherwise the tree will come under increasing pressure for pruning and maybe removal.

Re-deadwood, leave stubs in situ for the beasties as never really drops out anyway.

Re-SBD, when does a frequent unforseeable act become forseeable, in other words the frequency of unexpected branch failures needs to be closely monitored and recorded, i.e. so you can defedn the INfrequency claim if challenged.

Crackin tree...wished I stil climbed when I see such beauties!

Cheers..

Paul

I am suprised at other views to be honest, whilst this tree is lacking in vigour it would benifit from a forced retrench.

but for me the more important thing is that this particular long levered form of canopy is prone to swaying resonance, has a twin stem, and is in a raised bank.

If it was mine, in that location, and of that maturity i would be looking at the longer term.