help working next to powerlines

egs

A 2 day course on its own isn't enough. I recently did a one day course with some guys that wanted to work next to the lines. It scared the daylights out of me having seen the lack of knowledge the other guys had and the power company were thinking of letting them out on the netwrok. Total madness and a fatality waiting to happen. Let me say again; If you don't know what you are doing around live power lines leave well alone. Electricity has no respect what so ever and if you get it wrong you get it wrong big time. It's not a fence that might get smashed it's your life and that of your crew that is at stake.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three metres from a live LV line, and you want to do it 'hot' ???

I have to ask.... are you any of the following:

a) A complete idiot

b) Very stupid

c) Suicidal

d) Superman

e) All of the above

GET A SHUT DOWN, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER GOING NEAR IT WITHOUT ONE.

You only get one chance with electric, and if you get fried you may end up in a condition wishing it had finished you off.

PLEASE get a shut down... it's just not worth it!

well went to the job this morning. and the customers said he can shut the line off however there will be no power to the house. so everythings fine. canvany one reccomend any more in depth course on powerlines insteads of a 2day training course

may be i will ready through HSE GUIDES to get some more info

There an old saying (not sure how old or if its actually a proper saying) :

" Id rather be frazzled to nothing in an instant by HV cables, than melt slowly on LV cables".

I might have just made that up in my head, but you understand what I mean. Do not mess.

How can the customer shut the line off? Does he think that if he turns the big switch on his fusebox to OFF it means there is no juice in the line?

not sure what he ment. am gunna have to takes some pictures. its hard for anyone to judge with no pictures. i see if i can get some picture before i go to work tomorrow.

cheers for your opinions guys. i have better understanding of line work know from this thread. and i dont want to get frazzled.

There are two issues here mate.

a) Your safety and b) the risk of damaging the wire or connectors.

If you get a) wrong you die.

If you get b) wrong you will get financially raped without lubrication by whichever power co. own the kit, and your insurance may not pay out due to lack of UA tickets, working in proximity zones etc.

Get some pics up, and make the right call!

Stay safe mate.

The only person that can get the juice shut down is you its your responseablity you need to contact the network opreator. The network operator does'nt charge for this in my experiance.

Please dont take this the wrong way You mentioned that your newly self employed in another thread this is fairly basic question of safty and a key part of a risk assesment and method statement to safe gaurd you, your staff and public any work near powerlines the network operator should be the loop.

Be safe :thumbup: