tensioning speedlines?

munkymadman

you never need a crane, never had a job where it's the only possible option. it's just a damn site quicker, why take two days when you can do it in four hours.

So you can put more money in your pocket, rather than the crane Co's pocket?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only used one, we used the winch on teh front of the wee mog. easy as to set up.

Jamie

we have the same set up, easy to assemble. but trying to do the job in efficient manner seems very slow. our winch is well slow. trying to get the rope back to the climber is a pain. and you need another rigging block set up to hold the piece back while the winch is tensioning.

So you can put more money in your pocket, rather than the crane Co's pocket?

not always, you might save alot of money on labour, on time. it's generally access. especially trunks, some trunks it seems to be the only viable option. trying to way up which option will bring you home more profit.

not always, you might save alot of money on labour, on time. it's generally access. especially trunks, some trunks it seems to be the only viable option. trying to way up which option will bring you home more profit.

Yes, depends on the tree, location etc, hence the "?".

been having another barney with the boss over tensioning the speedline. i like using a 4x4, setup is quicker, it can be tensioned quicker, and larger weights can be placed on the rope. plus the guys don't have to pull on ropes all day.

arb association said thats not best practice, so now i have to use 3:1 system, effective, but not as efficient.

i'm aware of the inherent dangers of using a vehicle, does everyone agree that using a vehicle is a bad idea

Hi guys i'm the newbie on this forum. Munkeymadman, how are you using the 4X4 in the speedlining? it sounds good. What is the set-up?

Are you using a control/return line with a pully? or are you just using a speedline and using the 4X4 to help in the actual snapping off of the limb by tensioning the line as you cut?

Hi guys i'm the newbie on this forum. Munkeymadman, how are you using the 4X4 in the speedlining? it sounds good. What is the set-up?

Are you using a control/return line with a pully? or are you just using a speedline and using the 4X4 to help in the actual snapping off of the limb by tensioning the line as you cut?

firstly this isn't best practice, so be careful, trust the tree and the driver of the 4x4. simple set up, rope over a strong crotch then tie it off a third or more down the tree. tie the other end to the 4x4. making sure there's enough distance in front of the 4x4 so when theres slack in the system the line can reach all points in the tree for zipping. and enough room behind the 4x4 so you can get enough tension for clearance.

i keep it simple just a load of lightweight slings and steel carabiners(helps slow the speed down a bit). roughly middle weight the sling on the limb. tension it so you see a slight uplift on the limb. you can otherwise back cut it so it tears off. put a felling cut in it or snap cut it, all depends on the wood. you can otherwise get the driver to snap it off for you or you can cut it off. for the back limbs you'll need the driver to snap it off for you.(make sure your out of the way, it can come off with some force sometimes).

i only use a return, for low limbs that need to be tensioned high to clear the ground or for big branches/logs that need their descent slowed. and thats it