Sweet Dreams ?

Pat Ferrett

The whole swaying thing after climbing I think happens to alot of people though the more climbing people do the less they notice it.

I use to take travel sickness pills at night cause it was sooo bad when I first started climbing. Now i barely notice anything unless im spiking on a thin stem and its windy!

As for the falling sensation when you drop off thats called a hypnic jerk - a type of myoclonic jerk and is quite normal. The only reason I know that is cause it was on QI when brain of britain Stephen Fry said people in white coat believe it stems from long ago in our evolution when we were tree dwelling and the falling sensations which makes us jump as we nod off was a reflex action causing us to wake up and not plummet to the ground.

I've had hypnic jerk many times but also now and then i get sleep paralysis. Its a horrible scary feeling!

I had know idea it could be related to climbing! I used to get the falling dream sometimes and freak out and wake up suddenly. I practiced for a while to intend it to happen out of curiosity, and a couple of times i had the dream i just went with it. It was a very weired feeling to feel your falling yet know your safe in bed. When trying to do this sometimes i ended up being awake but my body being asleep! This i didn't really like.