excavator mounted stump grinder

treesuggs

can anyone tell me where i can hire a mini(ish) digger with a stumpgrinder or just the grinder attachment . I know they exsist but cannot find one. I need it for a job in n. London.:confused1:

havent got an excavator one but have a vermeer SC50TX and a R28 predator also on tracks and i'm very close to london..if i can help let me no

we've got normal grinders, this is for stumps and all roots to a depth of 450mm minimuim in a sensitive area where the surrounding soil cannot be disturbed ( can't be pulled out etc) apart from grinding, digging, lowering the machine into the hole and grinding again i cannot think of a way to do it apart from the mythical mini digger . i refer you to my last post and await your solutions:biggrin:

Cant help you with any details on hire mate but I looked into a grinder attachment for a 2.6tonne digger and gave up after 3 years looking. Any thing i came across was too small and only capable of smallish stumps to a depth of 300mm. To put it onto a digger i just didn't think it was justifiable. Suppose if like your situation you need to reach over an obstacle that other grinders cant get too it would work. Seen plenty of good attachments for larger diggers though.

I use a Predator 28 tracked machine and would not regard 480mm as much of a problem. It will go to around 400mm on the level. (Much the same as most other tracked machine, I expect). The extra depth is easily achieved by creating a mini mound just behind the machine's balance point. (Fencing post, grindings, etc.).

For large stumps I tend to do them in three stages.

1. Chase in a main lateral, widening out to the full stump as approaching it. This creates a clear area for the surplus spoil.

2. Tidy up the spoil to create the start of a slope into the stump. Then grind out the bulk of the wooden bit.

3. Remove grindings from the stump hole, improving the slope into the stump. Then grind to spec.

Its worth knowing what the objective of the spec. is. (After all the 480mm was probably arrived at by an architect casually ticking the "very deep grind" box). - If you achieve the objective, then no-one is going to be going around with a measuring tape.

I have some info but its not of a great help I dont think but someone else might fill in the gaps.

There was a bloke that I think was from a firm called Pink hire? they were at the APF by the wood carving section. He hires them out and delivers them direct to you on a pallet with the pins for your digger.

The other one is the preadator 28 for a 360 it sells for £5k but they might hire it as a demo? This one has its own engine but would need a bigger machine than a 1.5 t I would have thought as the unit is heavy.

Sorry if it doesnt help.