bad groundsmen

vduben

Never had the problems some of you guys seem to have with groundies and I've broken in quite a few complete newbies. The secret is as some have said above: communication. I would say: friendly communication. Explain what you want in words, not signals, make sure they understand before you do the deed with the saw. Explain how to tie on a saw or working rope and see them do it before you ascend. If they don't do it the way you asked, do not proceed anyway, have them do it again properly. Remain calm and friendly and thank them for a job well done. It's all communication folks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In spite of all of the replies to this thread, some extremely negative towards groundies and climbers?, the bottom line IMHO is a communication gap that could have been avoided.

I understand that using hand signals and yelling as loud as one can are means of communication to get valuable and timely information back and forth. Might I suggest the product that Nigel/Reg are selling called the Stein PPT communication system. I purchase one of these units for myself and was and have been very pleased with the results.

Like anything else this product is an investment and since I already had a set of Midland W/Talkies I am please with my investment. The fact that the author of this thread was injured more due to a communication gap than climbers having particular opinions about groundies and vice versa leads me to believe the injury could of and should of been preventable with better means of communication.

easy-lift guy

Because I 'never work with the same groundie twice' so to speak, everything has to be pre-planned to the Nth degree. Most of the people I'm helping out haven't been groundsman in their lives so it's all taken VERY slowly and every limb is talked through and agreed on the ground before we start. If anything changes once I get up there, we talk it through again, from the floor if necessary... takes FOREVER but touch wood no problems yet!

had an experience the other day that i never want again,

was taking a large lime down rite next to a house, got all the brash off and was lowering the top wood off its self, the grounds man said he wouldnt snatch it and let it run a little(dnt think he knew what i was telling him!!!!) well i put me cut in and ok'd it with him that he was ready, i think he must of put 10 raps on the capstain!!!!!! as the slack took up when the wood went it snapped the topping strop and whipped my arm so bad that it was numb for days, really put the willys up me!!!!! and the lump just missed the hose, he was 1 lucky boy that day, must of been funny to watch tho, i didnt half swear at him!!!!!!

but you live and learn, he will never do it again!!!!!

the tree with half the crown on still!!

24082007555.jpg

You just basically explained that this was completely your own fault so why would you swear at your groundie?:confused1:

If any part of your equipment snapped then you called it wrong and should have cut smaller pieces. Either your equipment was faulty or you went well above its swl. If you dont think the groundie understood you then you make sure he does by getting him to explain it to you. I always watch my groundie when he is putting the wraps on so i know myself what will happen.

I think its very unfair of you blaming your groundie for your own mistake and you should call him up now and kiss his arse and explain how sorry you are for shouting and swearing at him:sneaky2:

Really good groundies seem rare, the reason for this i'm not sure, maybe just my experience of tree work.

QUOTE]

I can tell you why good groundies are rare, there is bugger all incentive for most of them, paid crap money (on the whole) treated like crap by prima donna climbers who think they are gods gift, if they ask for more training, the bosses cant seem to justify it. Saying that it IS possible to be good at what you do, take a pride in your work, read,read,read. Watch closely and learn. Learn to tie bowlines, and various other knots and hitches, and if you are really fortunate, you might just improve yourself.

I get really ticked off with the attitude that groundies are shite, we all work out in the wind and rain, in the mud and slime TOGETHER!! Try working together. if your groundy dont understand, then help him/her/it. Climbers want respect for what they do, then respect the poor sod on the ground too, he's the one untangling your ropes for the umpteenth time because you dropped a pile of limbs onto it, and he'll be the one clearing the mess up long after you've come down from the tree. Now STOP bitching about each other and post about something sensible:playingball:

Thank you for that, all of it is bang on the money!:thumbup:

what about the climbers who do 1 or 2 cuts per branch, and walk away from the brash, leaving the groundy to do 10 to 15 on the same and chip?

Who do these climbers work for? I never was able to come down from the tree and just leave the groundies to clean up. It was always come down from the tree and pitch in with everybody else clearing up. Fact is a good climber can quickly swamp even a large gang on the ground, they can't get in to clear while you are dropping branches left, right and centre.

This is all very intresting reading the and understanding the relasionships between groundie and climber.

Personaly i have witnessed all of these trates and have come to relaise that a good groundie is worth 2 climbers imo the climber groundie thing should be of mutual respect the climber cuts stuff chipper freindly the groundie keeps the deck clear looks out for walkers etc and by no way do i think or suggest that a groundsmans job is merely rakes and brooms far from it.

I the back of my head i always remeber that if i should fall :thumbdown: that its the groundies i will be pinning my trust in and if you treat them like shite thay may just have been putting the kettle on when you feel.

Treat your groundies well people :thumbup1:

This is all very intresting reading the and understanding the relasionships between groundie and climber.

Personaly i have witnessed all of these trates and have come to relaise that a good groundie is worth 2 climbers imo the climber groundie thing should be of mutual respect the climber cuts stuff chipper freindly the groundie keeps the deck clear looks out for walkers etc and by no way do i think or suggest that a groundsmans job is merely rakes and brooms far from it.

I the back of my head i always remeber that if i should fall :thumbdown: that its the groundies i will be pinning my trust in and if you treat them like shite thay may just have been putting the kettle on when you feel.

Treat your groundies well people :thumbup1:

Damn right! They are an essential part of the team, neither climber nor groundie can exist without each other.

exactly thats why i get a lot of work because i'm always calm and i do tell the groundies that it's team work that gets the job done, i love the rare chance to ground for someone. lowering's an ace job, any climbers with delusions of grandure who got all shouty and sweary in the past always got a "wait till you come down here" lecture of good conduct .