how to produce the best

Matt Butler

Evening all,

Having recently been involved in on the site training, helping get guys through some of their units, and having newbies on site, i have been pondering the benifits of college.

So, my million dollar question is what produces the best surgeons

1. an arb course at college

2. learning on site from guys with experience and expertise

thoughts plz

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking from my experience, i would say both! I learnt the "correct" way to do things at college, and then on the worksite i learnt the "real" way to do things. Combining the two work methods together and you have all sorts of tricks up your sleeve to get the job done. That said, theres no substitue for experience, and i learnt the most from watching experienced climbers work.

I think a mix of them both. College can get you upto speed on H&S (where working can show you how to apply that in the real world) College can teach tree ID, Biology, legal stuff and be a good footing for when your body is nackered and you need an office job:001_tongue:

As for the practical stuff get out on site and learn form the old hands. You have the theory from college and you can see how its implmented in the real world. Lots of things in this industry are down to experence. You can do CS 31/32 and start working the next day but it doesn't mean you can fell any tree you see. Get a few years under your belt and see some pros working and you will be able to.

Number 2. Only however if you are working with a safe, competent and keen crew. I have worked with people with many years experience who are just plain dangerous. Not including mozza:lol:

I agree.

The question assumes the standard of the options is equal.

Whilst the first option is limited in its scope and real-life scenario, the second can vary enormously in quality.