Best form of advertising?

Danavan

depends how long your company has been running, longer youve been at it the less advertiseing needed (if you do a good job) because u should already have enough clients word of mouth, but setting up you need alot to get your name out there. local village magazines are my best form, just signed up to yellow pages for a year though which is my first large amount spent on advertising.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

This is a subject close to my heart.

I re-started my business offering tree work 18months ago.

With each client enquiry I not in my wee black book where they heard of me.

I also note the value of those quotes won or lost.

I've a series of adverts running on an ex-pat info web site.

The advertising cost is 3.75% of January's turnover.

Work directly won from these ads.

I'm going to place one in the Yellow pages next, measuring responses the same way.

I've a sign written van, glossy flyer, business card and a web site.

I'm hoping all this will lead to further word of mouth work which is also proving a real earner.

I take those tradesmen who pass work on out to lunch, thats quite normal here, very convivial.

Ty

doesn't matter wether it's tree work, or a multimillion $ snowboard brand,,, 5%.. not a penny more,,,

In an ideal world that would be true but in these hard times most companies would have to spend more than that. Its ok if youve been in business for 10 years but for relativley new companies spending 5% just wouldn't be enough. Ive been in business for almost 4 years now and im still spending about 10%.

me 15 yrs and far as i.m concerned you can never do too much advertisin... as long as its directed in right areas and you have time time to look at each job that rings up no matter how big or small... many times i.ve got a very small job for £60 then end up doing a full day in that road..

I thought Nike spent a 1/3 of there dollars on advertising?

I'm not sure if thats correct but it may well be. Don't forget that Nike dont actually make anything. They are just a marketing machine, so yes I guess a third of gross is quite likely. There is no such thing as a Nike made product, all manufactoring is outsourced on the cheap, allowing them to spend more on marketing and still make massive proffits. Nike stuff is essentially junk, that might perform well and last ok but its virtually worthless until the logo is on it.

Also for larger business a lower end profit figure of say 10% is ok if your turnover is billions. For us mere mortals we need to be achieving 30-40% of very much less money.

I won't buy Nike, they are an awful company.

5% sounds about right to me, but it decreased every year as the word of mouth factor kicks in. Thank God!

Always important to gain new business, though, and I think the media that will work for you will depend a lot on area and the kind of work you want to chase.