"Dirty Dorris" the Bedford

Mike Hill

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked on and driven the Matador.

The passenger used to lean over to help me get the steering wheel over to full lock to get them round corners when going slow

Ha ha! Who's got one of those?I'd love to have a drive.Were they originally used as gun tractors?

Ha ha! Who's got one of those?I'd love to have a drive.Were they originally used as gun tractors?

Yes they were originally used as gun tractors. Few years back saw one with the cab cut in half down the middle, winch rope had snapped pulling over hairy old oak. Good tool in there time

My Matador was in Egypt in 1942 (or so I was told), released thro Ruddington Sales in the '50s and converted by the first owner, I was the fourth. It was fitted with a 9.8litre engine from a bus and frequently ripped the x member from around the gearbox as it twisted in the chassis. Used to tow it to site on a solid bar behind a large tractor (Tax reasons) at lights I'd put it in first and push the tractor across the line!!! Great Tool.

Sounds like a great tool!

I've decided to do the clutch in the Beford.It came with one and the thrust bearing is making some noise so I may as well do that on saturday.Could I bodge a centering tool with a socket and some tape?Or is the end of the crank too big for that?

Sounds like a great tool!

I've decided to do the clutch in the Beford.It came with one and the thrust bearing is making some noise so I may as well do that on saturday.Could I bodge a centering tool with a socket and some tape?Or is the end of the crank too big for that?

Just eye it up Mike. Loosely put the plate in place and finger tighten pressure plate so you can move it about. I can't ever remember using a clutch centre tool unless it was a multi plate.

Ok thanks Dean! I normally use a socket with insulation tape wrapped round it to center the clutch.

But theres no shortage of room to work on the clutch buy the looks of things.I'll tip the deck up and prop it,the Hiab will be in there as well holding the gearbox up.

Good old Bedford TK series. Later badged up as AWD. I had 3 of the 4x4 versions which came in handy. They could stand for ages then fireup without any bother. I had one with a mid mounted winch we we hoped would replace the Matador when a friend had fitted a strong sub-chassis and a rear mounted Atlas crane. Project left unfinished in his yard about 10 years ago, probably covered in brambles now. The gearboxes were prone to getting nicked. I had three go in one night!!! Someone tried to tell me that they were sent abroad as they fitted a tank!?! Nice ride, it doesn't seemed to have suffered from the metal maggot yet.

Pete, When I worked for Ed, Jim and i cleaned up the new body and finished the welding of it. It was then lifted on to the wagon and sheeted down. wanted the Atlas and winch sorting. I belive when they moved it across the yard last they drove it! I bet the cab needs some TLC. I wish I had the money I'd love to see that project finnished and get it on the road.