"Dirty Dorris" the Bedford

Mike Hill

We recently purchased this beautiful example of Brittish engineering for the pricely sum of £1000 GBP equivalent.Alloy sided tipping deck,set of chains,spare clutch and its only done 49 000KM!

I have many fond memories of riding around with dad in these trucks as a child.

bedford3.jpg.03575b6a6e3d638a378f6ec563b65d73.jpg

bedford2.jpg.0798312c30b71f379ec4cd99aca4edf3.jpg

bedford.jpg.4d15358454ee271433235e4e08d184dc.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember the day my Dads brand new 10 ton Bedford TK came driving down the yard, must have been summer 1974, it had polythene on the seats

Dad was livid the steering wheel had a slight bend in it lol

Deans right about the brakes, when Dad tipped off and pulled forward , I'd put me feet up on the front,you thought you'd go through the windscreen, the old man had the lorry for years..

Brings back memories, we had one as a horsebox in the mid - late 70`s.

There were 4 cylinder and 6, the 4 was a bit under powered. I think they were rated at either 10 tons gross or 7.5. You could get the 10 tonner de-reted by removing helper springs then drive it on a car license. Ours was an ex United Carriers truck with a gearbox out of a coach- it would do 80 mph- scary:scared1:

Lovely old truck there Mike:001_tt1:

Good old Bedford TK series. Later badged up as AWD. I had 3 of the 4x4 versions which came in handy. They could stand for ages then fireup without any bother. I had one with a mid mounted winch we we hoped would replace the Matador when a friend had fitted a strong sub-chassis and a rear mounted Atlas crane. Project left unfinished in his yard about 10 years ago, probably covered in brambles now. The gearboxes were prone to getting nicked. I had three go in one night!!! Someone tried to tell me that they were sent abroad as they fitted a tank!?! Nice ride, it doesn't seemed to have suffered from the metal maggot yet.