is this legal...thoughts plz

butler

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i used to tow a 12 ton grain trailer behind mog or fastrac and then ifor williams behind with stump grinder on.. got pulled couple times [ only ever on motorway mind] and never mentioned a thing about the 2 trailers.. just stoppin to check stump grinder out.. dont think you'd have same luck behind a 4x4....

that would be illegal as the IW trailer was loaded with a stump grinder :001_rolleyes:

Speeding should not be a problem in Jersey there is only one Dual carriageway and that has a speed limit of 50 if my memory serves me correctly. The rest of the island is 30 mph. I would check with local police. I did a search on VOSA Jersey and Channel islands and nothing sprung up apart from cars being brought in Jersey and moved to England.

Damn my brothers car was a death trap, Passenger door came open when you went round a roundabout. Brakes were none existent. Doors didn't lock. He did only use it to drive to the beach and go surfing.

The only exceptions for towing 2 or more trailers are (UK):

Showman’s goods vehicles. (2 trailers of which the last trailer should only be a living van)

Heavy road locomotives = 3 trailers.

Light road locomotives = 3 trailers.

Vehicles operating under STGO (Special Types (General) Order):

Heavy suspended tow recovery vehicles recovering a disabled mechanically propelled vehicle with trailer to the nearest place of safety (I.e. off the motorway etc to the next services or junction or other close place suitable) (maximum speed 40mph on motorway & 30mph on all other roads) (1 vehicle combination)

AILV (Abnormal Invisible Load Vehicles) typically operating under STGO Cat1, Cat2 & Cat3. (maximum length 30m or >30m with notification for a movement order)

STGO also includes agricultural, horticultural & forestry tractors. (2 trailers of which only the first may be a loaded agricultural trailer or of any other agricultural type and the rear can be an empty agricultral trailer or any trailed agricultural appliance etc, with a maximum total length of 24.9m)

Engineering plant (1st trailer for equipment and tools for working and/or fuel/water for propulsion and the last may be a living van only)

Trailer comprised of 2 separate “trailers” which when joined are treated as one trailer:

Towing dollies which suspend or have weight imposed on them for recovering a disabled mechanically propelled vehicle ONLY (WITHOUT a trailer) to the nearest place of safety ONLY.

Composite trailer, which comprise of a converter dolly and one semi-trailer.

With respect to agricultural, horticultural & forestry trailer definitions:

An agricultural trailer is any type of trailed device which when loaded increases the weight by 50% above its unladen weight, as such trailed sprayers, vacuum tankers, muck spreaders, lime spreaders, water or fuel browsers etc etc are NOT generally agricultural trailed appliances as such so must only be towed empty when towed as a second trailer.

agricultural trailed appliances are things like trailed chippers (but NOT tracked chippers on a trailer as that would be a loaded agricultural trailer!) beat or potato etc harvesters, conveyers/elevators, cleaning/washing plants, trailed cultivators/ploughs or seed drills etc etc, trailed trenchers, graders etc, trailed mowers etc and other items which are designed not to carry additional load.

Lastly and most importantly the GTW of the towing vehicle must never be exceeded (with respect to small vehicles like land rovers it’s the plated maximum weight of the first trailer counts along with the actual weight of the unloaded second trilled item - so there is no point in trying to tow a 3.5t IW trailer with a trailed chipper behind it as that would be illegal regardless of if the IW trailer was loaded or not :laugh1:)

also I believe that only the second trailer may be fitted with overrun and the first trailer must be fitted with powered brakes and obviously the second trailer must be lighter than the first, however both trailers can be fitted with powered brakes though the 1st trailer must always be heaver. (>20mph)

Also I seam to recall the second trailer should have its own electrics that are independent to the first trailer electrics supply. (two line air brakes don’t require independent supply as any fault will cause application of both trailers brakes so simple pass-threw systems are ok)

Edited by b101uk