Slack tending climbing

Lancstree

I've still not come across a satisfactory way of doing this with friction cord and a petzl Fixe pulley. I've seen many pictures of people's set-up that show the pulley on the carabiner between the legs of the friction hitch, but the issue I have is that the setup remains too close to get an effective thrust. I've seen people pulling on the rope above the knot then tending the slack as they advance but is that not creating a fall-arrest situation?

I think we need another meet up soon to play around with gear!

If you constantly pull the rope through every few feet whilst ascending then it reduces the fall arrest situation. I find that I must keep sliding the VT cord up to ensure grip but I climb with a very loose 4wrap VT, my main issue is that if you are in a really tall tree the rope weight will loosen the vt which makes branch walking more difficult as well as standing on your anchor point. However, I've used it for 2 years and find it way better than the loop prussik system.

I know what you mean but if (for whatever reason) you have to let go with both hands when you have advanced and before you can tend the slack, you are going to fall that distance. In addition, if the knot needs to be touched up before it grips properly you could be in for a free fall - unless you have a back up of some kind.

For me 'reducing a fall arrest situation' is not an option because I'm not in fall arrest gear. To me it undermines the point of wearing work position gear. I mean no disrespect to those that choose this method by the way and I'm sure many people have had fruitful hours of climbing this way.

What I'm looking for is a method of slack tending without breaking the bank until I get a chance to try out different mechanical devices such as the lock and spider jacks.

I use a hitch climber but i think this should work for you: When ascending put a 50cm loop betwen your harness and your system, then you are hauling under the system and can get a really good pull. once you are up strop in and re-atach your system to the harness. A friend of mine uses a petzl quickdraw instead of a loop and though i have not tried it it is probably tidier, you can leave the loop/quickdraw in place if you need to re ascend at any point.

What I'm looking for is a method of slack tending without breaking the bank until I get a chance to try out different mechanical devices such as the lock and spider jacks.

Just throw yourself in the deep end Lancs, get a Lockjack :001_tongue:, there's no drop either when you put your weight back on the system, with most other things there's a 6" drop before the knot grips again.

You can have a play with mine one weekend if you like, lockjack I mean

Just throw yourself in the deep end Lancs, get a Lockjack :001_tongue:, there's no drop either when you put your weight back on the system, with most other things there's a 6" drop before the knot grips again.

You can have a play with mine one weekend if you like, lockjack I mean

my vt now very rarely fails, plus when you climb up a branch you can tend slack while holding on with the other hand un like a prussic or blakes where you need 2 hands(or your mouth:001_tongue:)

climbing the tree is much more better than climbing the rope

get a vt right with your perfect rope, hitch cord and its right combo and as soon as your off the ladders it self tends for you! you have to remember its a completly different cilmbing style to climbing on a prussik but theres no going back once you get to grips,wich will mean throwing your self in at the deep end !

if your still struggling to get to grips buy a lock jack and some lock jack friendly rope...