What log burner have you got thanks

mendiplogs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently fitted Dunsley Yorkshire running heat and hot water, it uses a fraction of what the (bonfire sized) dog grate got through. I don’t count it I just chuck it in but I do know I don’t have to venture into the night for logs anything like as often as I used to.:thumbup:

I fitted the thing myself but I did have to run the gauntlet of a real slagging on a plumbers forum, what with me having no plumbing training:001_tt2:

In the woods use use a "Hotpoint Special" which I made from the stainless drum of a washing machine. (Used the curved glass door section for a bird bath)

Made a couple a few years back to use as patio heaters - didn't take very long before they were glowing cherry red - burning well seasoned beech :thumbup:

HI MARKO yes mate im into small gas bills is that 20sqmt of hard wood mate thanks it pays too get a good stove:thumbup1: with logs price high next year they be higher owell all the best jon :thumbup::thumbup:

We tend to burn anything that I wouldn't want to sell... which ranges from odd shaped bits of hardwood, all the crap from around the splitter, any connie & willow and even sawn up pallets. It is very rare that we actually burn any of our 'for sale' stock.

Because we burn so much 'arisings' it was difficult to know how much we burnt annually and I wanted to ensure that we held back / had in stock at least one years supply for our own needs. Rather than just bring it home and use it, a couple of years ago I ensured that everything went into crates so it could be measured properly - we used 18 cubic meters but the winters have been a bit harder since then.

The quality of the stove makes a big difference - we have a small 12 year old Yeoman in the front room - when lit (more for effect) it uses as much wood / hour as the Morso but ony gives out a fraction of the heat.

As it happens, today we are burning sawn up packing crates that had indian stone flags in. 24 degrees throughout the house... and dog v happy roasting in front of it. :thumbup:

Vermont Castings Intrepid II, 27000 BTU's which is 8KW i think.

Multi-fuel, top loading with hot plate & double front doors.

Lasted 7 years before needing any internal attention. I have now replaced the fire stones & smoke hood, it was a right pain to dismantle. I really wish someone had told me to take the whole stove apart and copper slip all bolts/nuts before installing!

We burn around a 1/4 Cube every week, I burn anything!