Trial days

paddygreenways@hotmail.co

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesnt this sound like a troll thingy person?

I work a whole year for free one day a week with my current boss for work experience while at school and work weekends for a bit of cash i showed him i was keen to learn and work and never asked to be paid for a work experience day he then rewarded me with an apprentership and then a job when my apprentiship finishes.

If this isnt a joke you dont deserve the job

I don't think working free trials is asking too much in the slightest tbh. It doesn't show good motivation or get up and go if you won't sacrafice a day or so to potentially get a job rather than sitting on your arse doing nothing.

I have two guys coming to work with us on monday from one of these back to work shceme's, they are with us for ten weeks and only get their dole money as far as I'm aware. If they are any good they will get a seasonal job with us after that. Imagine that.....ten weeks working for not alot! I met them both today and they were raring to go, desperate to get out and about and doing some manual work.

They may turn out to be full of talk but atleast they're keen.

I have two guys coming to work with us on monday from one of these back to work shceme's, they are with us for ten weeks and only get their dole money as far as I'm aware. If they are any good they will get a seasonal job with us after that. Imagine that.....ten weeks working for not alot! I met them both today and they were raring to go, desperate to get out and about and doing some manual work.

They may turn out to be full of talk but atleast they're keen.

We've used them before, most are pants.....! Some have only lasted a day.. But we kept one on for a year and our current groundy after a slow start is turning out to be a good dependable groundie. I would not have paid him when he first came to us. Now looking at putting him through his saw tickets.

As to paying guys on trial days, we're looking to recruit and have had four guys, and they all did a good days work. We didn't pay them, I thought about it but you don't get paid for an interview which could easily last all day.

I think a practicul interview AKA trial day is best. Anyone can sit in front of a desk and give it the big guns, i can dismantle the bigest badest tree in the world, tell you what! come in tomorrow and show me simples p.s for free:thumbup: if you deliver you can have a job.

Any one had experience of being asked to work a trial day and not being paid for it. i was offered the job ,any ideas on legality and how this unscrupulus contractor can be stopped?:confused1:
At the risk of half of Arbtalk jumping on me, have you lot not heard of the Minimum Wage. Currently £5.80, a legal reqirement. O.K. Granted,

I would like to hear more details from paddygreenways, And if he's reading this: did you not discuss wages before starting a trial? Maybe you were too trusting? Have you pointed out that exploitation of guys wanting work is unethical? let's be more objective to someone's first post before slamming the door by being too quick to come out with the troll handle. Speaking as an employer, I would walk away Paddy, but get paid for what you have done.