Birch roots

Carlo

There are a couple of myths relating to trees and subsidence, one is that if you butcher the crown it will reduce the roots and the other is that staged reductions will prevent subsidence/heave

AFAK neither of these have any science behind them.

For my part I think this topic is more in the remit of the structural engineer than the tree surgeon.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of myths relating to trees and subsidence, one is that if you butcher the crown it will reduce the roots and the other is that staged reductions will prevent subsidence/heave

AFAK neither of these have any science behind them.

For my part I think this topic is more in the remit of the structural engineer than the tree surgeon.

Why do you say myths

We have been asked in the past by insurers to stage reduce -Conifers and yews

Is this practice now frowned on?

Hi can any one help me with a tree assessment?

I was asked today if the roots of a 15m high birch tree growing 1m away from a retaining wall would damage it. There is no evedence of any damage at present, the tree was planted shortly after the wall was built 35 years ago.

Cheers Carlo

To answer the question, you need to know how deep the foundations are and what type of soil structure the tree is growing in. Deep foundations will not be affected by tree roots, but shallow foundations combined with clays soils can be a problem, as the tree in dry periods can dessicate the soil leading to the soil to shrink and the foundations of the wall to sink/drop/subside, sandy soils in fact all other soils pose no problems, its only highly shrinkable clays soils that cause subsidence...

Saying the above, I think what the question really wants to know is do roots ''physically'' damage walls the answer to that is no! roots will run along the wall but they won't grown underneath and physically push it over

Thanks guys for all the advice and yes Lee the concern was the roots physically damaging the wall. I know some tree roots are more invasive than others eg ash and cherry, but what species of trees are suitable for planting close to buildings and what trees should not be?

Thanks guys for all the advice and yes Lee the concern was the roots physically damaging the wall. I know some tree roots are more invasive than others eg ash and cherry, but what species of trees are suitable for planting close to buildings and what trees should not be?

I don't know any tree that will physically damage a wall with its roots, with its trunk yes! so saying that I wouldn't suggest any big tree is grown near a wall, the only trees I would suggest planted near a wall are grafted fruit 'espaliers' birch would be OK though, as would Laburnum, dwarf conifers etc

i dealt with two silver birch approx 18" at the base and the other was about 20", both growing about 8 inches from a wall and on the other side of the wall was tarmac, there were no signs of any disturbance by the roots.

Roots will only grow in soils with low bulk densities, they wont grow into concrete!