???

old dude

Can you give us an example?

I originally started out with my gear in a bag, renting a chain saw for the day, taking the bus to the job site then hustling at the end of the day to get the saw back before racking another days rental charge. That was 35 yrs. ago.

When I retired and sold my truck and gear I began to reflect that during all that time perhaps only 40% of the time did I actually 'need' a bucket truck,chipper & box, skidder etc-- I would (occasionally) rent a crane. After all---there are times when only a crane will do.

The thing is--most jobs can be executed with two to three guys, some inexpensive lightweight tools--and ingenuity. It just bugs me that every time I open a trade journal magazine I'm confronted by all these ads for this or that heavy-duty and (or) expensive machines that are worded in such a way as to indicate that without this 'latest/greatest' multi-thousand dollar machine that you are somehow just (not) on the 'cutting-edge' of the proffesion when what matters most is that at the end of the day the job is done in the most effecient, enviromentally sensitive and cost effective fashion possible. It has been my experience this can often be accomplished using easily transported climbers tools--belts, chainsaws,ropes etc-- and artfully utilizing inexpensive accessories such as hookeroons, extendable rope retreival tools, Jet sleds for equipment & log transport, porta wraps, slings and carabiners, truck ramps for loading ease in tight spots etc--

By allowing ourselves to be conditioned to lean on the bucket trucks, chippers, cranes etc-- I believe the soul of what it means to be a treeman/ climber is being lost. Too often I see guys in bucket trucks who without such aid would never get off the ground nor ever actually 'feel' just what it is they are doing. Just a thought---gotta go.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may well be confusing North America with the Rest of the World Sir.

Bucket Trucks are only Common in North America and indeed the Continental US and Canada.

Surprisingly most Tree Work in the World is in my experience and estimation carried out with a minimum of Tools and equipment.

when you started 25 years ago you were starting your career, this is why you had minimu kit. There would of been stablished companies with plenty of kit at that time. When a business becomes successful you have to get through more work, so you buy more kit.

There are lads on here that are just starting out and will more than likely be getting the bus to work and using a bow saw, in 10 years time they will be the guys on here with shiny kit. I think it is just the stage you are at in your life and maybe only seeing a very small part of the industry, and thats the 1 in magazines, nice pics and advertising is what sells magazines.