Do all professional chainsaw users think joe public users are fools?

egnsean

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, my first post:biggrin:, i think this is a very good forum for anyone interested in prosessing their own firewood, however it seems to me the pros out there automatically assume that joe public should never be allowed anywhere near a chainsaw.I myself have and still do use chainsaws without any training to cut firewood and i think i am quite safe doing so, i feel its a bit unfair to tar everyone with the same brush , before i had to finish work (on health grounds) i was in the plant hire game and had to have a fare amount of common sence did some very tricky jobs over the years just useing experence and common sence, would like to here your thorghts, ones again gr8 forum:thumbup:

If you can afford it I would recomend doing the basic course! Ive used chainsaws for years without any problems, but then when i did the course it was suprising how many little snippets of info you can learn! you may think its just common sence, but if it was then the course wouldnt exist! I would defy anybody on here to say they never learned ANYTHING by doing the course.:001_tt2:

Stupid comment!!

I'm not so sure it is.

Obviously we don't have the benefit of knowing you & your experience (yet)

But...........I've been using Chainsaws for 18 years (admitedly a lot less these days) & have for the record never cut my chainsaw trousers whilst being in them.

I'd imagine many members here, have had very close calls with chain saws. Conversley, I'd imagine there is also a very large number of the same membership who have not.

Some people have a lot of respect for the beast that has the potential to cut us down in our prime.

Stupid comment!!

How come??

Chainsaw trousers are there for just in case, if you actually rely on them to protect yourself then you shouldn't be using a chainsaw.

I stand by my "stupid" comment.

I wont employ someone with chainsaw marks on his boots, or someone who thinks chainsaw trousers allow him to take risks.

(or her of course)

Stupid comment!!

Touché

Back in the 90s it was rumoured that in the year 2000, anyone, literally anyone wanting to buy a chainsaw MUST have their NPTCs. I was all for it. Still am.

There's a ticket for cross-cutting and maintenance so you should damn well have it.

Not felling? Fine, don't do the felling ticket.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I suppose if your a fool for using a chainsaw without any training then I'm one too for using a cut off saw also with out any training.:001_smile:

If you were using that saw to make a few quid by doing a bit of tree work then IMO you would be a fool.:001_tongue:

But as it goes I dont see how anyone could see joe public as being idiots if they want to buy a saw and just use it for personal use.

It always seems to make the papers when someone has a fatal accident with a chainsaw, but I would put a large bet on that many more people die every year falling off step ladders while doing a bit of diy home repairs.

Although I can see the painteranddecoratortalk forum having a good old whinge too.:thumbup:

I appreciate what you're saying. But bear in mind even the pros with all the gear, knowledge and training have accidents. When using your chainsaw do you have the basic PPE? i.e. trousers, boots, helmet?

Most people that use a chainsaw with no training feel quite safe to do so.

If you have the cash could you not just do the basic certs?

:001_smile:

hi Rob, yes i have the basic PPE, as for the training i dont feel i need it, as i only cut firewood on the deck, i now about the kickback arc, chain sharpness ect so as i have no intension of felling tree ect cant really see what the need of training would be:confused1:

If your chainsaw trousers have saved you then maybe you shouldn't be using a saw either!!

I thought that Rupe!

If they have saved you more than once i think you need to have a look at your work practices.

No not all public are muppets but the vast majority havnt got a clue on how to use one or look after a saw, i mean most of the gen public think you can cut soil, stone and concrete with a chainsaw!!!