First Aid Kits on Harness

Dean Lofthouse

I carry a first aid kit on my harness. It really slows me down. Its so big and heavy, I can barely get off the ground :D

Honestly. Is it really such a chore to take some basic extra stuff up the tree? I mean ******* hell what kind of trees are you climbing? :D

No handsaw??? Do you seriously make every cut with a chainsaw???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a first aid kit on my harness. It really slows me down. Its so big and heavy, I can barely get off the ground :D

Honestly. Is it really such a chore to take some basic extra stuff up the tree? I mean ******* hell what kind of trees are you climbing? :D

No handsaw??? Do you seriously make every cut with a chainsaw???

Call me minimalist - the less dangle and jangle the better...:sleep1:

And yes, nearly every cut I do is with a chainsaw - and an ms200 is often to small.... But thats down to the jobs I do. I nearly never get asked to reduce or thin trees. Think about it - would you ask me to reduce or thin your tree?:D

Yes.:001_cool:

At the risk of derailing this thread. I used to try and avoid using a chainsaw at all!!!!

It's nice to clamber about in a normal pair of trousers with a pair of nomal boots on having a chat with the groundy whilst pruning with a handsaw. I'm sure it was faster for certain jobs. Better cuts IMO as well.

Horses for courses I suppose. :)

Nice work if you can get it Tony. I have used a handsaw extensively in the past, usually for deadwooding big Tilia etc.

Just dont seem to get any of that sort of work anymore. I suspect thats down to their being very little spare cash up here. Work is only done if its essential, or making way for something new.

Anyhow, staying on topic, I think that handsaw users are far more likely to need the services of a first aid kit.... Sliced knuckles anyone?

I wouldn't go to work w/o my handsaw. If I had two climbers applying for one climbing position, and both were equal in all ways except one didn't have a handsaw, guess which one I would hire?

Cranking a saw for every cut is INSANE, and besides that it damages the tree on things like watersprouts and tiny dead/twigs. There is no way I would believe anyone saying they're making proper cuts doing like that.

No handsaw? Unbelievable. Carrying a handsaw is one of the marks of a professional.

haha i climb with a first aid kit, my groundie always fills the bloody thing up with condoms though!!:scared1: Safe climbing i suppose, i also think it could be a good idea to have one on the rope bag too, esp for those of you who dont take one in the tree with you...and as for climbing with a silky only, i hope you have a tube of Savlon on a biner to hand hahahaha

According to industry standards we should carry a personal firstaid kit

( item 13)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag401.pdf

just for fun.

How we where injured or killed as an industry grouping. HSE put arb forestry and agriculture in one set of statistics but the percentages are oddly interesting.

contact with machinery is a tiny ammount in the fatalities and on a par with livestock fatalities.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/agriculture/hsagriculture.htm

remember don't drive to work and reduce your fisk by a huge ammount.