How to get into the forestry industry?

Stu

passed my cs31:biggrin: now to find a job lol

Well done! How many trees were you doing a day on your 31 training and what sort of size on average. From doing 31 to the jump into the real world is quite scary. No leaving trees because they're hard or your not quite sure. No jumping to the next rack because its easier than the one your in. 31 teaches you to fell but not really any forestry techniques. If you can get the chance spend a day or so just watching as you will learn masses.

Bucklebury Estate might be worth contacting they have some woodland so maybe a chance to fell there?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers! umm on average i was doing 3 or 4 trees a day, all scots pine, the biggest was nearly the size of a 15" bar and then 5 or 6" probaly the smallest.

Ill give them a call see what they say, im basically going to call round loads of different estates now. i know theres a few near me that i know do some harvesting i gotta start some where lol

Broadleaves will be slower as there is more to cut and stack and the limbs quite often have to be measured out too. 3-4 isn't a bad amount to do a day on a training course. Think all those years ago thats what i did you will get better very quickly if you do a lot of felling.

Im in a simular boat mate, just passed my cs 31 and probly on my 3rd day on the saw at work, mainly doing some clearance stuff and genral cleaning up.

All for the timber so you have to be fast but Im nowhere near quick enough.

Start of labouring for someone stacking and dragging brash and ask if you can fell a few a day for practise, thats what I do, that way you can still be usefull to whoever you work for whilst being safe and not rushing things.

Good look matem:001_smile:

Well done! How many trees were you doing a day on your 31 training and what sort of size on average. From doing 31 to the jump into the real world is quite scary. No leaving trees because they're hard or your not quite sure. No jumping to the next rack because its easier than the one your in. 31 teaches you to fell but not really any forestry techniques. If you can get the chance spend a day or so just watching as you will learn masses.

Bucklebury Estate might be worth contacting they have some woodland so maybe a chance to fell there?

Maybe get a basic tractor ticket, so you can multi skill on an estate - once in they may pay for more tickets for you:thumbup1:

yh i have thought about doin other courses blazer especially forwarder and tractor but its a case of saving up the money lol do u do any forestry?

Today it's 'tickets' to do anything, so chatting to a student working on a farm during holidays (hedge cutting etc) using a 'basic tractor' course is not that expensive, colleges will vary.

It could be a way in as many employers especially estates want multi tickets. I work as a sort of 'hobby job' on a large private estate and do fallen trees, vermin and gamekeeping, others do farm tractor work, quarry work with 360 diggers, restoring buildings and a bit of tree work, even the stockman has all the different tractor/loader tickets.

I chatted to a couple of guys working for the NT in N/Wales in the summer and they cover alot of sites doing tree work, grass cutting, fencing etc.

I'm don't know like the others on how to get tree work but it seams today to look wider as you may not get what you want for a start. My son doing A- levels wanted to join the police but they are not signing on so he may look at the RAF etc - good luck:thumbup1: