PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) XUD Diesel Engine - How did they get it so right?

TimberCutterDartmoor

Well im going to pee on your parade:001_tt2: I had a 205 and it was a disaster everything that could go wrong with it went wrong!

Then a 306Dturbo it looked nice and was nice to drive but i got annoyed with having to use the heater EVERY time it was started, If i drove it from Inverness to Wick and stalled it it would need the heater before it would start.

Then the head gasket went.

Never again will i ever own another pug!

if you want a good Diesel its the 1.9 VW ive an Inca straight 1.9 and a Bora 150TDi:thumbup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

979k miles - damn impressive!!

I read a good while back that the recognised highest mileage car still in operation is a 1974 Mercedes 220D operating as a taxi in Athens with a little over 2.8 million miles. Incredible what proper care will get out of an engine!

I was thinking about this the other day.

The only real reasons for buying a diesel were ,

1 They were reliable and tuff

2 They returned a good mpg.

It seems that they arent as economical now as they were in the past. Plus a lot dont get past the 80k mark before blowing a turbo,a head gasket or snapping a cam belt.

Makes you wonder if its even worth buying a diesel these days!

Lpg seems a better option.

I was thinking about this the other day.

The only real reasons for buying a diesel were ,

1 They were reliable and tuff

2 They returned a good mpg.

It seems that they arent as economical now as they were in the past. Plus a lot dont get past the 80k mark before blowing a turbo,a head gasket or snapping a cam belt.

Makes you wonder if its even worth buying a diesel these days!

Lpg seems a better option.

I've been under the impression that LPG has more or less died a death - if you look on Autotrader, less than 0.1% of vehicles for sale have LPG.

Modern diesels seem to be quite extraordinary in terms of combining epic economy and performance. Take the new BMW 535D - 6 seconds to 60 and 45mpg. Why even bother with petrol?

Modern diesels seem to be quite extraordinary in terms of combining epic economy and performance. Take the new BMW 535D - 6 seconds to 60 and 45mpg. Why even bother with petrol?

Lots of stuff to go wrong. Doesn't the 535D have some sort of electronically controlled variable throw crank to enable it to cruise at 900 RPM? God knows what the repair bills would be on that. That said however, modern petrols are no better.