stump treatment

bubbles

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, not disagreeing, just cant believe these guys sometimes.

We seem to spend our time trying our best to adhere to all the legislation they throw at us but they keep supplying us with constnatly changing requirements and "grey" information, yet those who dont care will still do as they like without being policed.

As you can apply something as nasty as SBK without any responsibility, is it all worth bothering with certs I wonder?

This really gets me

AAAAAARRRGGHHHH

You do things by the book and what happens- they change the pages in the book- they even change the book

By the way- you can store in an old fridge but the important thing is that it has a sump that can contain the volume of the chemicals should the containers all burst- Better to use an old chest freezer we were told

Having done that I wouldn't recommend it as everytime you open the lid you get a faceful of fumes- not nice

Rapid racking do a chemical cupboard which is ventilated and lockable for about £200- looks the business

Maybe I need to go on the course again- we were told to sign off any areas where chemicals applied- now how often do you see this on your travels- even the council don't do it

This really gets me

AAAAAARRRGGHHHH

You do things by the book and what happens- they change the pages in the book- they even change the book

By the way- you can store in an old fridge but the important thing is that it has a sump that can contain the volume of the chemicals should the containers all burst- Better to use an old chest freezer we were told

Having done that I wouldn't recommend it as everytime you open the lid you get a faceful of fumes- not niceRapid racking do a chemical cupboard which is ventilated and lockable for about £200- looks the business

Maybe I need to go on the course again- we were told to sign off any areas where chemicals applied- now how often do you see this on your travels- even the council don't do it

Just remove the door seal or drill some holes in the door.

And here is the HSE link: Schedule: Commodity Substance: Urea half way down advisory note.

I was intrigued by this and so decided to do a bit more digging. First part is Professional use is different from Amateur use and so as a Code of Practice (section 2)

By law, everyone who uses pesticides professionally must have received adequate training in using pesticides safely and be skilled in the job they are carrying out. This applies to:

• users, operators and technicians (including contractors);

• managers;

• employers;

• self-employed people; and

• people who give instruction to others on how to use pesticides.

By law there are certain situations where you will need to have a qualification called a ‘certificate of competence’. In general, you will need a certificate of competence if you supply, store or use ‘agricultural pesticides’. These are pesticides used:

• in agriculture;

• in horticulture (including horticulture of amenity areas such as parks, streets, sports pitches

and so on);

• in forestry;

• in or near water; and

• as industrial herbicides.

The circumstances in which you need a certificate of competence are explained and set out in flow diagrams later in this section.

From my understanding of the above and the previous references although you wouldn't need PA1 or PA6 for amateur products you would have had to have adequate training. Now that would be down to each business to show how their staff members, etc have been adequately trained to use the substance. None of this however removes the recording requirements under COSHH.

I was intrigued by this and so decided to do a bit more digging. First part is Professional use is different from Amateur use and so as a Code of Practice (section 2)

From my understanding of the above and the previous references although you wouldn't need PA1 or PA6 for amateur products you would have had to have adequate training. Now that would be down to each business to show how their staff members, etc have been adequately trained to use the substance. None of this however removes the recording requirements under COSHH.

Xaltu, I welcome the debate, but in your own excellent link, if you follow the flow chart; second question is: Is the product approved for people who garden as a hobby? Answer Yes.... then no certificate to use them is needed. It does not say you need training either. An official answer, not from the trainer but from a Government website. Could not be clearer.

Granted normal precautions apply (gloves goggles etc) but contractors who do the pa1 pa6 just to poison stumps or spray roundup bought from B & Q. are wasting their money. My guys poison stumps all the time only myself holding the certs.

Agreed that no Certificate of Competence is required however as per

By law, everyone who uses pesticides professionally must have received adequate training in using pesticides safely and be skilled in the job they are carrying out.

HSE would expect to see proof of adequate training. As per most things this would most likely only checked when something goes wrong. That training could be 'in house' or by an external provider but it does not have to involve any sort of test.

The flowchart states "Use the following flow charts to see if you need a certificate of competence." and so therefore it is only designed to assess whether a Certificate of Competence is needed.

Edited by Xaltu
Clarity

Agreed that no Certificate of Competence is required however as per

HSE would expect to see proof of adequate training. .

Found it, try this HSE link Using pesticides in the garden - Home page

Go half way down the page to the section entitled Ameteur and Professional Use. Then the HSE clearly say "If a product is approved for ameteur use you do not need further training". Sorry, but I think it's important that we do not gold plate every piece of legislation. I admit, if I was to put your case for a second that a lot of the guidance is ambiguous but I would argue that this part is clear.

In other words the next thing to do when using an ameteur product would be to read the label then follow what it says.

I agree, you cannot give a guy on his first day a ton of SBK and tell him to kill every stump in Suffolk, and get on with it, because the guy would not have a clue, but this commonsense rule applies for absolutely everything we ask our guys to do.

Found it, try this HSE link Using pesticides in the garden - Home page

Go half way down the page to the section entitled Ameteur and Professional Use. Then the HSE clearly say "If a product is approved for ameteur use you do not need further training". Sorry, but I think it's important that we do not gold plate every piece of legislation. I admit, if I was to put your case for a second that a lot of the guidance is ambiguous but I would argue that this part is clear.

In other words the next thing to do when using an ameteur product would be to read the label then follow what it says.

I agree, you cannot give a guy on his first day a ton of SBK and tell him to kill every stump in Suffolk, and get on with it, because the guy would not have a clue, but this commonsense rule applies for absolutely everything we ask our guys to do.

So what if you use an amateur approved pesticide (for in the home/garden) in a public place- It's not so clear

I assume if you use say sbk (garden centre strength) in the home you can easily warn homeowner of the danger but in a commercial site this wouldn't be so easy. I hate H&S