Secret Weapon

High Scale

I like the concept of srt, however I really dont see the advantage of working off this system. Surely if you anchored your Ddrt system in the same fork as the srt line the climbing experience would be virtually identical. Plus you are doubling the load on the branch with a tied off srt line, as well as all the other potential problems alredy mentioned in this thread. I especially dont like the fact that having more lines in the tree only adds to the chance of brash becoming tangled in the extra rope. Another minor fault is tha even with the use of a static srt line you are doubling the potential stretch in the system (as all lines stretch a wee bit) this only makes ling ascents seem even more bouncy.

Have you worked on an srt system?

The working climb is COMPLETELY different. COMPLETELY. There are older threads talking about it.

It is not as simple as doubling the force on a tip. Need to account for circumferential friction plus numerous other tips that the expansive line runs over.

The non working section can be positioned away from the 'hole'.

More stretch is good.

Tim, you keep making the same point. Maybe I do too.

Paul

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you worked on an srt system?

The working climb is COMPLETELY different. COMPLETELY. There are older threads talking about it.

It is not as simple as doubling the force on a tip. Need to account for circumferential friction plus numerous other tips that the expansive line runs over.

The non working section can be positioned away from the 'hole'.

More stretch is good.

Tim, you keep making the same point. Maybe I do too.

Paul

I have used srt for access, I have not worked off it, I would be interested to try it, but this system isn't working off srt its ddrt anchored to a single line. HOW is it completely different?

and since when is stretch good? why dont we all climb on bungee cord if it is?

I understand your point about the friction over the limb / limbs and accept thet the load is not perhaps doubled but it will still be higher than a ddrt setup at the same anchor point.

I'm not being deliberately argumentative, i really just don't see the point.:001_smile:

I have used srt for access, I have not worked off it, I would be interested to try it, but this system isn't working off srt its ddrt anchored to a single line. HOW is it completely different?

and since when is stretch good? why dont we all climb on bungee cord if it is?

I understand your point about the friction over the limb / limbs and accept thet the load is not perhaps doubled but it will still be higher than a ddrt setup at the same anchor point.

I'm not being deliberately argumentative, i really just don't see the point.:001_smile:

My mistake Tom, you are almost right. You have to take into account Tim's fear and the (possible) rescue angle and then it would be the same!

Dead wooding an avenues of limes with masses of the typical and bloody annoying to climb into birds nest epicormic (should this be defined as epicormic), I trnk belayed to each proceeding tree. Tim would be a little happier plus I had a triangular rope shape to compress the weak lime tip AND I climbed straight over the mass of branches ! !

Drew mentioned that it all has a place. I second this.

It's hellish fun too!

It does have its place, and where it would shine is on a tree with a hard to isolate TIP, like a bur oak or a silver maple when they get real big and shaggy...;)

I have spent an hour trying to isolate a TIP for DRT.

this way, just get the line up there, over a few crotches if you like, anchor-off, ascend with the SW, work DRT :) all is good, and you only have climb as high as you need to for the work you are doing.

One more short vid to show the set-up, but dayum....it was cold...-35c :) but I love this thing so much I wanted to share with you guys ;) lol

this one shows the set-up to footlock the doubled access line with the SW replacing the the prussik and the rigged DRT line replacing the tether. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZIIm5a-WI&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Secret Weapon 3[/ame]

Edited by Cary Gibson

If you are going to work ddrt anyway, why not use SRT to access (totally agree about difficulty in certain trees of isolating TIP), strop on, and fix cambium saver for ddrt, which would cut out any risk in failure of SRT line? Would add about 30 seconds.

I get SRT, I don't get working ddrt from SRT after accessing.

Be pretty boring if we all climbed the same though.

Ontario looks COLD bro!