employer and ppe

Martyn Amos

sink your teeth into this one guys!

i am self employed and do a bit of subbing,but at the moment things are slow!

so looking about for some temp work,found groundwork [must have chainsaw ticket]

its through an agency but will be working for the council,so the agency will be my employer they are just waiting for the council to give the nod

the agency said thats all i need is trousers,boots,gloves and helmet?

well being self empolyed ive got them,but i said to the wife,that an employer buy law has to supply ppe.so phoned HSE and i was spot on,even if they employe me for 1 day then they have to supply.

so if i get the nod,they got a bit of shock:001_huh:

not being funny chaps,the money is not great,but its work for now and i dont fancy buying myself new trouser at £160 and boots at £140,if i was to cut them when by law employer has to supply

martyn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where you're coming from, but what if you say ok provide me with PPE then and get told your services are no longer required?

I don't know what the legal situation would be here, but there may well be a lot of other people out there who are happy to use their own kit without complaining.

Would you rather have a few days work, or risk turning it down to avoid possibly damaging your own PPE? I'd take the few days work myself, as I've been using a chainsaw on and off since I was 17 and never ruined a pair of trousers or boots by hitting them...

hope this helps!

I can see where you're coming from, but what if you say ok provide me with PPE then and get told your services are no longer required?

I don't know what the legal situation would be here, but there may well be a lot of other people out there who are happy to use their own kit without complaining.

Would you rather have a few days work, or risk turning it down to avoid possibly damaging your own PPE? I'd take the few days work myself, as I've been using a chainsaw on and off since I was 17 and never ruined a pair of trousers or boots by hitting them...

hope this helps!

the point is,the agency will be my employer,but the council will have the say on who they take on!the agency say i am at a advantage because i am the only one to apply with climbing tickets and they would be looking for a climber!

so if the council say we want him[me],then i tell the agency they have to supply ppe,they are going to say to council,they have to supply ppe and will not so i dont get the job,but the next person down the line,they will have to supply them any way [HSE law]

as hitting your ppe with saw goes,there always a 1st time and are you using saw full time!:001_huh:

but if work is that slow why not say yes i have my climbing tickets and yes i have my ppe your virtually guranteed the job and who knows what might come along while working for the council they may offer you more work.

No matter who the employer is why would you ask them to provide ppe straight away that could put them off you

The employer has to ensure that employees have PPE. Does not mean they have to provide it for you. It can come out of an allowance. So the agency pay £5 an hour to a labourer and £8 per hour to you cos you bring your PPE.

(those are just examples of course)

And also, you are being contracted in, not employed directly by the agency. They are looking to provide the council with a chainsaw operator with PPE for x amount an hour, do you want the work or not?

You have been offered work - just bloody do it and stop complaining!!

Why is no one satisfied these days with work, people always want more. You may well find that the council have spare boots and trousers but they may be cheap examples that have been worn by previous employees, if you have got your own wear them and create the impression of a willing, prepared, hard working person.

This country is on it's backside because too many people can't find the right job so do nothing but claim the dole or get and job a whine the hours are wrong, the pay is wrong, mr smith down the road gets this but i don't.

You have been offered work - just bloody do it and stop complaining!!

Why is no one satisfied these days with work, people always want more. You may well find that the council have spare boots and trousers but they may be cheap examples that have been worn by previous employees, if you have got your own wear them and create the impression of a willing, prepared, hard working person.

This country is on it's backside because too many people can't find the right job so do nothing but claim the dole or get and job a whine the hours are wrong, the pay is wrong, mr smith down the road gets this but i don't.

thats what i was trying to say

good post

Most of my work comes through agencies whether its joinery (my main concern) or as a hgv driver and sometimes transport office work. Yes they are supposed to provide basic PPE. But, I am more than willing to use and provide my own ppe, as mine is always above minimum standard, i have various sets, and i know it will protect me. I always provide and use my own power tools, although these should be provided on site, as again i always have the right equipment for the job in the van. When i buy equipment, i know it will get used and abused so i buy the best there is, as it is bought for one purpose and that is to make me money. So if i'm offered work i know i am fully prepared to do anything that is asked of me. Once on site, and the gaffers know what i can do and the gear i have got, i get asked back, again and again. Providing a nice continuation of work. So if i was you, i would treat it as your own job, put in a good showing as you never know where it may lead to.