Fish Fight

evergreen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stat that got me thinking most, was that 50/60% of all the fish we eat is either salmon, cod or tuna.

(may have been higher)

That really sums us up as a nation :thumbdown:

We signed up to the petition during the week.

(stands at 421,821 right now, which is very impressive )

Promptly went to a fish restraunt on friday night, and the wife had...........

................Cod :001_rolleyes:

There's no hope :biggrin:

I watched the programme,and i was wondering, why dont the small boats collect the fish that the trawlers throw overboard? They could buy it half price and theyd both be happy. But as i live in the county which is farthest from the sea and dont know what the hell im talking about when it comes to the sea the above is probably complete b******s.

I've been following the series on Ch4 over the past week. It's been showing disgraceful fishing practises that I have long been aware of and I'm glad that it is now being shown to such a wide audience.

The fishing quota has to be a contender for one of the most absurd and wasteful reg's EVER. Grrrr!

I watched the programme,and i was wondering, why dont the small boats collect the fish that the trawlers throw overboard? They could buy it half price and theyd both be happy. But as i live in the county which is farthest from the sea and dont know what the hell im talking about when it comes to the sea the above is probably complete b******s.

... Because that would be too sensible!

There is a cap on the amount of fish landed, regardless of who is bringing them ashore.

I watched the programme,and i was wondering, why dont the small boats collect the fish that the trawlers throw overboard? They could buy it half price and theyd both be happy.

From what I gathered from the programme, you could follow the trawlers and pick it out of the sea, but could not collect it directly from the trawler as it was the catch of that trawler. Once thrown back in the sea, no longer belongs to that trawlers catch. A bit like the road kill law here for game, if you run over a pheasant and pick it up its classed as poaching, but if the car behind you picks it up its fine.

However, if you were to land your catch that you have "salvaged" you need to meet the quota stipulations if you intend to resell.

Hugh, was not intending selling on, therefore didnt need to meet the commercial criteria.

I could be wrong entirely, but thats how I interpreted it from the programme.

If I were to be honest, I'm not a great fan of Hugh but on this occasion I think he is certainly stirring things up for the better, so definately gets my vote:thumbup:

Im not as thick skinned as some of you guys and girls and find that trying to post word perfect so as not to be misunderstood is taking the edge of the fun for me, so Im going to give it a miss for a while :thumbup1:

Nah, don't do that mate. Reading your second post has made me feel a right dick. I shouldn't post when I've just come back from the pub - lesson learnt.

Stay posting, your worth listening to.

:blushing:

Apologies

Sam

I do not buy fish. We haven't for a while now, but we can get away with that because we fish (and a lot of mates do to). My uncle is part time scallop diver, but doesn't sell them, and we are kept in all kinds of shellfish by him.

If you want "fair" fish, and you live by the sea/are by the sea then go to the day boats (That you hire and go fishing on) and ask if they have anything. For a few quid (occasionally free) you can pick up some lovely fish. Failing that, buy a spinning rod :D

Sam