beaten by a tree?

MattyF

had to do a side reduction on big popular over some phone wires today tree was over 100ft but high winds made me think twice when i got to the top,did the lowest limbs over the wires but still bottled it when it came to the limbs higher up that needed tip wieght off,all i could think about was the roping and anchore points snapping out with the extra load with the jolt of a snatch combined with the wind speed if i attempted it.....,but felt i did the right thing by walking away for today but fu(kin hell did it make me feel low to be beaten by this tree...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did the right thing man, if you have a bad feeling about a tree its better to walk away and sort it another day.

We always would tell trainees to come down if they weren't happy with a job. Treework can be too macho sometimes and it can take more courage to admit defeat than to take risks.

I've come out of dodgey trees in the wind before- you just get that feeling don't you....

If you felt it wasnt right to do the job in the wind, then it wasnt. At least you get to go home in one piece, if thats any consolation. How many accidents occur because someone didnt listen to the "voice" in their head telling them to get out? Good call imo mate. Sit back and enjoy a beer, tomorrows another day :beerglass:

fu(kin hell did it make me feel low to be beaten by this tree...

So you should you big baby, you should be feckin ashamed of yourself on that disgraceful showing!!!!

Obviously I kidding.

Don't worry man its nothing, you can't expect to beat the weather, always smarter to wait till its more favourable on a job like that. Ive lost or postponed tonnes of work due to those types of circumstances. Because if something were to go wrong, ultimately, you'd take the blame. It's shocking how people turn on each other after a serious mishap, a real eye-opener, Best avoided!

Try and get some pictures when you go back to finish it. Good luck!

You werent beaten. You made a safety call.

I know what steve means though - when your paid to be the best...

Even the best know when it isnt safe, thats why they are the best, they can assess the risks due to their advanced knowledge, skills and experience. They push themselves to their own limits. They know the safest way to do the job, and yet know when to pull out and go home, so they are still the best tomorrow.