Any other losers like me?CS31 not going too well ):

odd_bird

when i was on 30/31 i passed,then had to wait in my car,for the other guy to finish! i waited 2 hours ?

he was told to hang up a tree and he kept missing,so the he had to snead and crosscut everyone,it took 4 trees?

he still passed :thumbup1:

good luck you can do it [if you lived closer to me,i would give you a helping hand]

martyn:thumbup:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'If it got hung up did you have the correct safe procedure in getting it down?'

we were just told to leave it for the tractor to deal with it if it gets stubborn.

I hope you were taught the correct safe procedure for dealing with a hung up tree, Maybe this will come on the last day,

Good luck looking forward to seeing your thread on Friday saying you passed

:thumbup1:

'If it got hung up did you have the correct safe procedure in getting it down?'

we were just told to leave it for the tractor to deal with it if it gets stubborn.

I think I just came up with the plan! I'm talking a piece of chalk with me tomorrow :001_cool:

Where you doing your course?

Don't be too scared of the bigger trees, they just take longer to cut, giving you more time to make sure your hinge is parallel. Smaller trees are easy to cut straight through!!!

I had trouble keeping my saw level until I started putting my elbows on my knees and sticking my arse out!! That might help.

It's hard not to, but don't worry about it. It's like driving, you only really learn once you've passed.

Have a crack with the assessor too, when you're on your test, they're just people. Usually they're quite interesting. It'll make the whole thing less daunting.

Just recently two of my colleagues did their CS31. Both of em passed. Granted they did have practice between. But we said to both of them "As long as the tree goes where you want it and you bring it down safely. Whether hung up or not, thats all that matters. You've shown the assessor how to bring a tree down and shown him that you know how to bring the hung up one down safely." Its a combination of saftey and correct techniques. Because we are part of a county council and the weather was a bit touch and go with the snow we managed to split the two assessing days apart by about a week. As they did the CS30/31 combi.

I was kinda lucky when it came to my cs31, and seemed to take to it well. The two things i would suggest though, is see where your assesor stands when they fell a tree, get them to scuff the ground were they place there feet, and then make sure you stand in exactly the same spot. Its amazing how much easier things feel in the right posistion.

Also as others have said, just go slow. Take however long you need on your gob, just nibble away till its correct. Then go slow with your back cut, i tend to pull the saw out towards me slightly now and again, to get a better idea of how the bar is lying in the cut, and again, just nibble away.

Good luck.

I was kinda lucky when it came to my cs31, and seemed to take to it well. The two things i would suggest though, is see where your assesor stands when they fell a tree, get them to scuff the ground were they place there feet, and then make sure you stand in exactly the same spot. Its amazing how much easier things feel in the right posistion.

Also as others have said, just go slow. Take however long you need on your gob, just nibble away till its correct. Then go slow with your back cut, i tend to pull the saw out towards me slightly now and again, to get a better idea of how the bar is lying in the cut, and again, just nibble away.

Good luck.

Trainer.

If your assessor starts felling trees you have got real problems :lol:

I'm OK with the gob. It's the back cut that I'm not getting right. It's either to high/low or all other the place!

I'm gonna ask my instructor to watch me tomorrow until I do the whole tree. It's always easier for someone else to see your mistakes than your own.

Cheers