• Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the hse are taking note of the stat's put out on this thread!

As pointed out by some one I wrk with if the hse had a true coralation of % of us that use 200's one handed & the hits we get taking into account the time, position & other factors in the use of the saws then maybe we would have a stronger case to carry on using top handled saws in a safe manor with one hand.

I do think that most of the time with the right training using a 020 one handed is a safe operation. My worst cut from one was use in a mewp & not taking into consideration the lack of space for escape from an over weight branch I cut & held! had I been in a rope & belt I would not have cut my wrist! Again training mite have helped a little, but the only person I can blame is myself in this instance!

Accidents with saws are not limited to the use of an top handle. :confused1:

Accidents are normally caused by inexperience, carelessness, stupidity or a combination of all three.

Ask anyone that has been cut or nearly cut and they will say they took a risk, cross handed, rushed or didn't pay attention.

As for using slings, if you want to turn a 1 hour job into 8 hours and can price a job to do so, go for it. If you need slings then the piece is too heavy to hold anyway

Personally I use all techniques including "slings", some from the idiots guide and some I have developed myself, everyone has their own way.

Cut and hold does have it's place, imo if you don't do it you have never done a conifer hedge height reduction or you are lying :001_smile:

I hope the hse are taking note of the stat's put out on this thread!

As pointed out by some one I wrk with if the hse had a true coralation of % of us that use 200's one handed & the hits we get taking into account the time, position & other factors in the use of the saws then maybe we would have a stronger case to carry on using top handled saws in a safe manor with one hand.

I do think that most of the time with the right training using a 020 one handed is a safe operation. My worst cut from one was use in a mewp & not taking into consideration the lack of space for escape from an over weight branch I cut & held! had I been in a rope & belt I would not have cut my wrist! Again training mite have helped a little, but the only person I can blame is myself in this instance!

:scared1:

Accidents with saws are not limited to the use of an top handle. :confused1:

Accidents are normally caused by inexperience, carelessness, stupidity or a combination of all three.

Ask anyone that has been cut or nearly cut and they will say they took a risk, cross handed, rushed or didn't pay attention.

As for using slings, if you want to turn a 1 hour job into 8 hours and can price a job to do so, go for it. If you need slings then the piece is too heavy to hold anyway

Personally I use all techniques including "slings", some from the idiots guide and some I have developed myself, everyone has their own way.

Cut and hold does have it's place, imo if you don't do it you have never done a conifer hedge height reduction or you are lying :001_smile:

Good thread Dean.

About time someone shone the light on our 'cowboy' ways!

If we didn't use 200's safely with one hand then I expect their would be far less comp from others :lol:

If a 200t is designed for one handed use then how do you take the chain brake off with one hand whilst holding it?

By offering up the saw to the underside of the branch you are going to undercut and pushing it against the branch, take off the brake and make the cut.

If we are to believe the suggestions, that one handing is "extremely" dangerous then a huge proportion of everyone on this forum should be missing an arm, leg or dead. :001_rolleyes:

TBH Dean, I'm pretty shocked by the number of people on here who have cut themselves.