Thousands of trees felled to stop Sudden Oak Death

grim72

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, i think hes Dorset based? Im closer to the Devon border.

Does he still have his big chipper and massive claas xerion to power it?

Gotcha. Re the Ahwi and and tractor I think so but he has couple of big Fendts too; saying that the big fendt struggled to power the chipper that well - think I can find the video somewhere...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MVogyaAFYE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - Big fuelwood chipper AHWI EC950Z[/ame]

Ooops derail sorry :blushing:

They've been warning us about this for months now. I'm very worried as I have about 90+ acres of trees growing -- though, thankfully, no larch.

The thing that's most worrying is that the disease seems to be evolving to affect different trees. It started out infecting rhododendron in the South West of the UK and then spread to larch. It's spread by the wind and larch produces a lot of spores in spring and summer which can carry the disease a long distance when the air is moist. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the prevailing wind is from the SW so it's very likely to spread up-country. It seems to have got as far as Somerset, Wiltshire at the moment.

I suggest familiarising yourself with the symptoms as many of you could be the first to see them. All you need to know is here...

Forestry Commission - plant health - P. ramorum in England

I suppose it's an ill wind that blows no one any good, so some of you might be in for a bonanza time.

Best wishes,

John Russell