Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

I have never claimed to anyone that I'm a great climber thanks. I've no idea who you are and you don't know me, so don't tell me what I think about myself. I can tell you that I have some experience and I haven't been shy to post my recent work and even mistakes on here, wheres yours?

As for not finishing, I bottled the climb, yeah so what, I'm neither a fool or a magician. Its not that it can't be done, I've just made the decision that its not worth the risk of climbing.

again u misread i said I think ur a good climber.....ive only just started using this forum but would have no problem posting my work

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The trouble with this topic is the wording of the title, I dont think the use of the word "Bottled" is appropriate. I have done alot of climbing and never started a job and not finished it.

I ve had to change the plan of attack on many occasions and dont see this as :thumbup:

Most of my work I price before had. I'll make a decision on how its safe to do, if I change my mind during the job then we do it differently and if it costs us more so be it. A fair bit of our work is also contracted in on day rate to a variety of clients, usually following a survey.

Some day rate work, like this job, I don't know what were doing untill we turn up. If it looks like a job needing special plant then its up to the client whether or not to go for it. Its not worth the expence of the mewp for whats left on this tree. I feel like I owe the client to do my best. Maybe I could have gone further, but I just couldn't. In the past I pushed my limits way past what I (and plenty of others) thought safe, to impress big clients and for purely for the thrill. Maybe I'm just growing up at last.

The trouble with this topic is the wording of the title, I dont think the use of the word "Bottled" is appropriate. I have done alot of climbing and never started a job and not finished it.

I ve had to change the plan of attack on many occasions and dont see this as bottling it, more listening to your gut instinct. Its then that I use my brain experience and the advice of others to overcome or get round the problem.

I dont mind if anybody wants me to explain further but please dont jump down my throat, im not out to start a slanging match only a laugh and maybe learn a thing or 2 on the way :thumbup:

Good post.

Huck, my mates uncle was killed in Hampshire when a tree failed during a climb last year. Agree it happens very rarely though. Touch wood!

stephen ur the one thats neads to do les talky talky u seam to have a opinon (normaly a mixed a stupid one) on every thing.......

Great reply, you really put me in my place there and most certainly proved your climbing ability:thumbup:, i forgot the link between my opinion and your skill, silly me.:001_rolleyes:

I bottled a tree once, It was a big old lime and the spec was for a 25% reduction. There was a cavity at the base which could take the entire length of a broom handle. I refused to climb it ( I had only been climbing for 6 months). My friend and rival Robbie climbed it no problem a few weeks later and did a lovely job. :blushing:

The tree is still there 8 years later.

The more I have learned about trees both in the class room (Tech Cert and PTI) and in practice climbing and cutting the more I trust them. I would like to think that I don't take stupid risks, but since that day I have always found a way to get the job done.

I posted this earlier on the cut and hold thread, I think its partly relevant here too, in the sense that the broader your climbing horisons are the more chance that you will be able to get the job done.:001_smile:

"Once you have developed a good repetoire of skills, you can treat each tree, and each cut, as you see fit, you make these decisions according to personal safety, likelyhood of breaking something and speed and efficiency. If I think that cutting and holding is the safest and quickest method for a particular branch then I'll do it. Thet does'nt mean I'll do it on every branch.

Only using one method for all your work is stupid, in some cases it will be slower, in others less safe. spending ages trying to get into an awkward position for one cut with 2 hands on the saw when you could have cut and held it is pointless.

I would encourage every climber to add new skills to his repetoire at every opportunity, once aquired they are seldom lost, and may well get you out of a tight spot that would have otherwise stopped you.

I'm sure we have all watched other climbers working and thought "I wouldn't have done it that way" I have. Either rigging a limb you would have cut and chucked or visa versa. I have often seen people climb things I would have felled. Too many climbers have only one or two methods at their disposal and it shows".