ash cordwood

grant

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got 30-50 Arctic loads of timber to fell-extract from a farm in the midlands predominantly ash 15-35 inch with birch 10-25inch and 20-30 oak buts at 30-50 inch all straight, close planted with felling license in place. so with 10 yrs + exp in arb and no forestry exp i could do with a few ideas and its on a 45% bank. with the price of firewood and num of posts on here wanting the stuff please comment.many thanks Grant:confused1:

At the right price i would buy the whole lot!!!!!

A well trained horse with Spikes/Heels n Toes shoes would do the work. Tree lengths extraction and voice control.

agreed but i would`nt risk my horses on it when a skyline or winch will be a lot quicker and safer

My first thought would be skyline if the bank is really steep. However they'd be quite expensive to hire in i would of thought. My next thought would be a double drum winch pulling things upto a landing in tree lengths and processing then forwarding to roadside.

A lot of the stuff will be too big for most processors so it will be chainsaw and splitter teratory. The smaller ash and birch would be good processor stuff though. the 20-50" Ash and Oak buts are best sold road side for the mill. Good quality oak would get you around £8 hoppus foot maybe 6 for the ash. Worth seing what length the mill wants the stuff in before cutting. Also 30-50" oak but will be very very heavy so you'll need some pull on the winch to get stuff up. Also quite a loader to put it on the lorry.

I'd say not less that a 6.5 tonne winch closer to 9 would be better. Double drum better than single as you are more efficent that way.