My new 660 got baptised

Mr. Bish

Baught it at the arb show and this pecker was booked in for the following Monday.

On Wednesday I had to use the beast up a 3ft dia. at 20 ft up sweet chestnut. Sectioning the chestnut and actually man handeling the lumps would have been impossible without it but I was so dam busy and stressed that there were no pictures :-(

stumpagend7.jpg

I decided as there was no danger to anything of getting it wrong that I would try the all American big tree flat gob and snipe. My first one and I have used it several times since. I love it.

dgobbty7.jpg

I now have a 4 ft dia. 15 ft straight oak log sitting in the field. How do I go about selling the butt?

Bah you can mock all you like :-) I was told they were used by the mills at 14ft lengths.

Do I take it from your sarcasm that mills like 20 foot lengths?

The reason for leaving such a stump was the metal fence post inside. you can see the residue on the butt so I took a further 6 inch off when it was flat.

I am after mill info not micky taking.... we all started somewhere?

Just having a giggle, my friend.:001_smile:

Apologies if you've been offended.

Those that know me will know I like to dish it out for a laugh, but I'm quite prepared to stand and take it from others when I'm the one at fault.

Obviously there is something contaminating the bottom that meant it couldn't be felled to ground level when you are attempting to sell the timber.

Perhaps if you'd added some more info to the post to explain why you felled it at that height.

At first it just looks like '"I've got a new big saw and look what I've done.....!":scared1:

I'd have took the pee even more if you'd posted a pic of the tree dismantled and a felled trunk in the middle of a field! - but believe me I have seen such a thing more than once!

Don't take it too seriously mate!

Enjoy your work, all the best.

I'd have took the pee even more if you'd posted a pic of the tree dismantled and a felled trunk in the middle of a field! - but believe me I have seen such a thing more than once!

QUOTE]

I've worked for a company that told us to do a dismantle on a straight-forward fell, cos the client was paying top dollar, so thats what the job was. We straight-felled it anyway, and got a right royal rollicking for doing so, our point was "WHY, ffs?"

Nice, Mr Bish. looks to be a few defects in the log??

What's its diameter at the small end, inside the bark? Do you know how to figure board feet? That oughta be 1125 bf, assuming 34 inch and 20 feet(plus 4-10 inches trim), and worth 40 cents to 80 cents a bf, unless it's veneer quality, minus trucking fees. I'll let you do the currency conversion.

I've heard that eastern US mills will buy logs as short as 8 feet. Around the west, it is typically 16 feet minimum. Dunno about Brit specs....

here's a great site with a bunch of calculators--board feet, wood weights, etc...

http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSCalculators.html

Nice woodweb site. I wasn't offended to be honest. And yes I did post it with a bit of "Wow look what I can do now with my big shiny saw"

Really though I'd love to be able to pass a few of the better logs that I get onto a mill. Do you think the best way is just to go see the mill or are they likely to throw me out?

I do have a nice fat cedar to do on wednesday that looks too good to be firewood.

So does anyone in the UK actually manage to sell domestic trees to mills?

And yes I did post it with a bit of "Wow look what I can do now with my big shiny saw"

Really though I'd love to be able to pass a few of the better logs that I get onto a mill. Do you think the best way is just to go see the mill or are they likely to throw me out?

I do have a nice fat cedar to do on wednesday that looks too good to be firewood.

So does anyone in the UK actually manage to sell domestic trees to mills?

Order the dual port front cover for the muffler, then hog the ports out a tad more even, retune the carb, and you'll be cutting 15-20% faster.

I have no problem selling residential logs to mills in the PNW....though I've heard that around the US, some mills are picky...worried about metal, etc....

There would be another 2 foot of wood in the butt instead of on the stump if you knew how to bend over.

Single butts are relatively worthless as most buyers and mills want a lorry load at a time. If you could get it to a sawmill the starshake in the butt , the decayed sapwood and the big knot halfway up the stick detract from the saleability, you may get low grade or fencing price.

You could find someone to buy 7x7 or 8x8 gateposts from you then get it sawn up in place with a wood mizer or similar.

Your best bet though looks like a lot of logs at £70/m3