Anyone know anything about hydraulics?

mikecotterill

Its either an over centre valve to act as a secondary brake (which normally have 4 ports and 1 pilot valve) and are mounted very close to the winch motor (though it could have 2 individual blocks with 2 ports & a pilot valve each)

It could be a PRV for a secondary service (if it has 3 ports) and if the secondary service uses its own spool-block.

It could be a bleed off valve that gets put on a pipe via a “Y” piece between the pump and a remote removable spool block so when the spool block is removed and the PTO is accidentally engaged this PRV bleeds back to the tank (2 ports) (this PRV would be set to a higher pressure than the removable spool block so it normally wouldn’t operate when the removable spool block is in place)

Cheeers for the reply. It does have three ports. Ii might help if I explain how it's piped up (or will be).

It going tank-pump- then to a spool valve this has two levers one for forward and reverse of the winch, the second is an "on/off" which supplies two take off points for tools etc.- then to oil cooler- filter-tank.

There is an adjustable screw like the one on the picture on the spool valve which I presume is the prv for the winch to stop overloading.

I would have it down as a pressure relief valve back to tank return ?

I am with Dean on this one. It looks like a PR valve, it would go in the line on a tee to the port marked P between the pump and the first service with the port marked T going to tank.

If you fancy a ride up to Oldham bring what ya got and I will give it a look over

Andy

Cheers Andy, I'll see how it goes, don't suppose you makehoses up too?

So it's definately a prv, I'm

Not sure where your coming from regarding where it goes in the system? Are you saying it goes between the pump and the spool valve, or between the spool valve and the toolpipes? Cheers again mike.

Well not definitely a PRV but most likely. The PRV is there to protect system components in this case the pump. It goes in between the pump and the first valve. Put a tee union in the line and the spare port goes to the PRV port (most likely marked “P”).

The other port on the PRV (most likely marked “T”) goes to the tank.

The service valve you have has a built in PRV to protect the services.

I don’t make my own hoses anymore, I sold the swage because mostly all I got were ingrate farmers at bailing time.