How does anyone make money extracting cordwood?

Chaps, as stated in the original post the extraction is taken care of by a 3rd party with a forwarder at £5/ton. All we have to do is fell, section and stack, plus burn the brash.

We're not interested in fannying about making gates, posts etc. It's purely for firewood.

We could sell at the rails we could produce for £4 a pop. A big butt that would yield 4 rails (allowing for split aways) would be worth £16 once split and ended, or about £12 as firewood in a year with minimal hassle. No brainer, especially as we've only got weekends on it.

The only products we sell are big strainers for my fencing contracts.

So does the time scale seem about right to fell, section, burn brash and stack logs in piles for the forwarder? And if so, then back to the original question- how is it possible to make money by selling for £20/ton at roadside?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Fox, I had a similar size orchard to clear last year. I found the quickest, most cost effective way was to strip the branches and throw them into windrows as I went, leaving the main trunk standing. Then clear the branches with a loader to fire. Then fell butts and chuck them straight on a following trailer as you go. Get in a sawbench to log them later. I then had a D9 with a rootplough.come in to clear the roots. It took me 3 days in total. Messing about logging as you go is unproductive and tiring.

thanks andy for the reply i have tried that way also as well as many other ways all apple trees are different some have bigger limbs some have none, we found out the easyest way if they have big (ish) limbs is to log on the tree, standing it acts as the stablest saw hourse, also if you leave apple wood to season then log it it goes very hard and you use more chains and it needs more oil lube! also and this is the point that i think this thread is aimed at you have to handle the timber again, there is no easy way of making money from coppice or small felling, even if i hired a 360 with a share or a harvester, it still costs, ...........oh well only another 4999 to go:001_rolleyes:

yes you can make money from it but you need to have plenty of experience on a saw and be able to work at industry pace , there are guys that have been doing this for years and robably one man coud do what three of you do a day because he has the experience and knows just how to make his life easyer in most situations .

Im not saying that you dont know what your doing at all , just that you need to keep at it and things will get quicker as you gain experience.

just a thought but is that the cheapest you can get the timber forwarded for ? i know its not alot of money but still its money your not getting

Chaps, as stated in the original post the extraction is taken care of by a 3rd party with a forwarder at £5/ton. All we have to do is fell, section and stack, plus burn the brash.

We're not interested in fannying about making gates, posts etc. It's purely for firewood.

We could sell at the rails we could produce for £4 a pop. A big butt that would yield 4 rails (allowing for split aways) would be worth £16 once split and ended, or about £12 as firewood in a year with minimal hassle. No brainer, especially as we've only got weekends on it.

The only products we sell are big strainers for my fencing contracts.

So does the time scale seem about right to fell, section, burn brash and stack logs in piles for the forwarder? And if so, then back to the original question- how is it possible to make money by selling for £20/ton at roadside?

Then up your price to make it more profiitable! You have been given a way to make it more proffitable so either take it on board or lose out! If you 'fanny about' then corse your not going to make anything! carry on earning your £20 a ton roadside. but dont complain again when your asking why isnt it making you monney!

Bang a harvester and forwarder in there, thats the only real way to make plentyof money at £20 a ton on roadside

NO! harvesters arnt allways profitable in coppice sites and in fact rarely are! and even so the monney from chesnut isnt from timber its from products!

yes you can make money from it but you need to have plenty of experience on a saw and be able to work at industry pace , there are guys that have been doing this for years and robably one man coud do what three of you do a day because he has the experience and knows just how to make his life easyer in most situations .

BRAVO!

good post:thumbup1:

I like the look of those gates very much, well done, briiliant idea, but (and this may be a daft question), what type of ironmongry do you use, ie hinges, as there doesnt seem anywhere to fit the large tee hinge or hook and bands normally associated with these type of gates. Look well made tho.:thumbup:

I use standard hooks and eyes. Thanks!

How the hell do you make money extracting cordwood for a living? I'll make money on it as firewood, but I was just wondering? :confused1:

What bit of the above don't you understand Frankie?

Highland Forestry- I thought as much!

Combined Tree Services- please answer me this: Could three of you and a digger fell, section, stack timber and burn brash on .9 hectares of 26 year old chestnut coppice in six days?