Always astonished by the public!

Shane

Going back to the original post, we had a similar situation, but granted no women. My boss got a rush job to remove '20ft of a tree which had fallen into a carpark/loading area' of a d.i.y store in Leeds. I and a college volunteered to go with our boss and when we got there it was a 60ft ash that had crashed down through the roadside vegetation and there was about 30ft of the crown in the car park. We managed to nearly fill the back of our truck with chip!

We couldn't stop any deliveries being made and we did have cones and sign out to indicate we were working there. But alas we did get a couple of likely lads drive in through the cones and park on the yellow box. I just thought they were a couple of ***** and weren't worth the effort.

I am sure everybody on this forum could probably tell you a story about the Joe public. I find that if you are nice to them and explain why what you are doing has to be done, they go away with a bit more knoweledge and understanding. Sometime you even get a job out of it!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the original post, we had a similar situation, but granted no women. My boss got a rush job to remove '20ft of a tree which had fallen into a carpark/loading area' of a d.i.y store in Leeds. I and a college volunteered to go with our boss and when we got there it was a 60ft ash that had crashed down through the roadside vegetation and there was about 30ft of the crown in the car park. We managed to nearly fill the back of our truck with chip!

We couldn't stop any deliveries being made and we did have cones and sign out to indicate we were working there. But alas we did get a couple of likely lads drive in through the cones and park on the yellow box. I just thought they were a couple of ***** and weren't worth the effort.

I am sure everybody on this forum could probably tell you a story about the Joe public. I find that if you are nice to them and explain why what you are doing has to be done, they go away with a bit more knoweledge and understanding. Sometime you even get a job out of it!

Just before we broke up for xmas we were doing some tree work in a car park we manage. We put up laminated posters a week beforehand warning members of the public that we will be doing tree work and not to park in the coned off area whilst we are working. As my colleague made the gob cut on a leaning field maple, a gentleman moved the cones and parked his car well within falling distance of the tree. I kindly asked him to park in another space as we are about to fell a tree where he parked his car. He obliged and moved his car into another space that was well out of the way of where we were working. Whilst we were having a quick tea break he came back from walking his dog and asked if he could take the logs on. We said yes and they next day the logs had completely gone...as had the picnic bench tops, site board, fencing and "anti-traveller" stobs. We asked the same gentleman if he knew anything about the picnic bench tops and various other bits that had suddenly dissapeared overnight. No knowledge at all. During the second day we had a very irate member of the public come over and had a massive go at us about the excessive noise we were producing in the countryside with the chipper going through branches. I explained that the chipper cannot run quietly unless it is turned off. He was fine with that but i had to explain why we were cutting the trees down and he was fine with that. Out of curiosity I asked where he lived in relation to the site. He lived in a vilage about 5 miles down the road. The area he lives in has two large shoots on either side of the valley. He then asked why we had put wire and a steel rod down inside the anti traveller stobs as it blunted his chainsaw. We knew straight away who had cut the stobs. No biggy with him cutting the stobs for fire wood they were very rotten and were going to be replaced anyway.

Just before we broke up for xmas we were doing some tree work in a car park we manage. We put up laminated posters a week beforehand warning members of the public that we will be doing tree work and not to park in the coned off area whilst we are working. As my colleague made the gob cut on a leaning field maple, a gentleman moved the cones and parked his car well within falling distance of the tree. I kindly asked him to park in another space as we are about to fell a tree where he parked his car. He obliged and moved his car into another space that was well out of the way of where we were working. Whilst we were having a quick tea break he came back from walking his dog and asked if he could take the logs on. We said yes and they next day the logs had completely gone...as had the picnic bench tops, site board, fencing and "anti-traveller" stobs. We asked the same gentleman if he knew anything about the picnic bench tops and various other bits that had suddenly dissapeared overnight. No knowledge at all. During the second day we had a very irate member of the public come over and had a massive go at us about the excessive noise we were producing in the countryside with the chipper going through branches. I explained that the chipper cannot run quietly unless it is turned off. He was fine with that but i had to explain why we were cutting the trees down and he was fine with that. Out of curiosity I asked where he lived in relation to the site. He lived in a vilage about 5 miles down the road. The area he lives in has two large shoots on either side of the valley. He then asked why we had put wire and a steel rod down inside the anti traveller stobs as it blunted his chainsaw. We knew straight away who had cut the stobs. No biggy with him cutting the stobs for fire wood they were very rotten and were going to be replaced anyway.

Whoah, that's not the point. He was vandalising county property for his own benefit. Whether it was up for renewal or not! The cheek of it!!!

Although it is highly frustrating that a member of the public cut the stobs for firewood. We feel sort of rectified as he had completely destroyed 4 chains cutting through them. We know he had gone through 4 chains because the chains were left where the stobs had been cut. And from what cutters were left on them. The chains were fairly new.

Although it is highly frustrating that a member of the public cut the stobs for firewood. We feel sort of rectified as he had completely destroyed 4 chains cutting through them. We know he had gone through 4 chains because the chains were left where the stobs had been cut. And from what cutters were left on them. The chains were fairly new.

False economy of the year award haha.

Matt

I thought Blandford was a posh area, im really surprised about the hastle you have there. Very best luck with everything, please dont let it get you down. Baddies are a minority, we just give them more attention and thought than the rest.

Cheers

Blandford and the surrounding area is generally posh but there are pockets of "scroats" around the town. It has got better over the years but there is still a few "junkies" milling around. And you can spot them from a mile off. We had them camping on one of our bits of land. We had 2 sharps boxes full of needles by the time we had cleared up. We quickly cleared out the thicker plantations so you can see if anyone is camping in there.