Groundies

Dean Lofthouse

After Bob mentioned that some Groundies come in for critisism sometimes in threads, critisism they don't deserve.

I fully agree with Bob so to put things right I promoted my Groundy today, to "Ground Operations Technician".

I do feel he deserves this position, although not fully trained at the moment.

Groundies carry a huge burden on their shoulders and their responsibilities are huge. Without them work would grind to a halt.

They need to master many skills, Knots, lowering techniques, chainsaw use, chipper use, saw sharpening, maintenance, fueling, equipment ID, rope minding, the list is endless.

There are some technicians out there with far less skills under their belt and I feel that our groundies deserve more (not money though) .

My mates groundy has gone on holiday, he feels as though his right arm has been cut off :sad:

I think we should be referring to our groundies as Techs from now on or maybe GOT's Ground Operations Technicians :001_smile:, groundy sounds far too lowly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there should be a nptc for being a groundie. i know there is in a way ie chipper cross cutting ect but think of all the people who come out of college and think there are going to become a climber straight away.

You should be a good groundie before becoming a climber then IMO.

a good groundy was normally a good climber in his earlier years but i do know of alot of good GOT's (there you go dean)

who have barley used a harness in their life

but if im on the floor i expect to be the goundy......... does this mean climbers will becom COT's??? (climbing operation technician)

and I feel that our groundies deserve more (not money though) .

And why not? some of the companies i work for the groundies get practically as much as the climbers.

A good groundie is worth it, some just don't fancy getting in the harness, does this mean that their pay should never progress beyond a certain amount or reach the level of a standard climber?