Help, lots of it please.

ashman

"sprat to catch a mackerel"

Small bait to catch the bigger fish. Off set some of the cost of harvesting the pop by securing a long term deal on the ash. Find out what pop is really selling for then get some verbal reasurance that you can still harvest the ash and oak for years to come. With the cost of cord wood soaring you never know whos looking over your shoulder. Watch you dont struggle with the pop then loose the rest.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"sprat to catch a mackerel"

Small bait to catch the bigger fish. Off set some of the cost of harvesting the pop by securing a long term deal on the ash. Find out what pop is really selling for then get some verbal reasurance that you can still harvest the ash and oak for years to come. With the cost of cord wood soaring you never know whos looking over your shoulder. Watch you dont struggle with the pop then loose the rest.

Cheers for that steve,

I dont think that is likely, i have been doing the hardwood for many years now, as well as lots of other bits for them, the pop job has only just been mentioned.

Even if i dont do the pop job i still have an ongoing thing with the ask/oak.

It is purely my sense of fairness that i want to do the poplar job, i have been well looked after where i am and if i can return that favour then i will. Hence i feel i need to get this work, i do all the chainsaw work on the estate and would want to carry on like this, not been funny but why should outsiders come in if i can do it myself !

Your right about people looking over your shoulder though.....have had a few people (close to me) try and get the better of me on the timber available, luckily, the owner and i have a good rappor and he not only has turned them down but has told me what the deal was they offered !!!

It makes them look stupid, (especially when one of the guys used to work for me), all i can say is due to been fair, he always approaches me first !

I will genuinely say, he will not expect more than it is worth......but he wont take a stupid offer !!! does that make any sense, he aint stupid and hopefully niether am i ! i have a good rapport with him that i wish to carry on.

Just wish i knew a bit more about pop than i do !

Rob.

Edited by ashman

sold 35T of poplar as firewood last year at £100/cube (seasoned) had many repeat customers this year asking for it again! very under-rated as firewood, especially considering the shortage of timber that many people seem to be experiencing at the moment

You can season it in about 3-4 months

called in at a garden centre today and saw dumpy bags (80 x 80 x 80) seasoned hardwood for £75 and un-seasoned for £60

Hi,

I would have thought biomass on a standing sale is going to struggle taking harvesting costs into consideration.

The 80 - 100 tonnes could well be a realistic volume on this type of stand.

There is a market for pallet logs but haulage is always a dictating factor, also a limited market for kindling. If you can supply some pics. tree measurements i may be able to place some for you.

Hi,

I would have thought biomass on a standing sale is going to struggle taking harvesting costs into consideration.

The 80 - 100 tonnes could well be a realistic volume on this type of stand.

There is a market for pallet logs but haulage is always a dictating factor, also a limited market for kindling. If you can supply some pics. tree measurements i may be able to place some for you.

I am going to drop one tomorrow to have a better look and work out some volumes, will get a few pics and sizes for you then, send me your email and i will forward them on to you.

Regards, Rob.

Edited by ashman
spelling

sold 35T of poplar as firewood last year at £100/cube (seasoned) had many repeat customers this year asking for it again! very under-rated as firewood, especially considering the shortage of timber that many people seem to be experiencing at the moment

You can season it in about 3-4 months

called in at a garden centre today and saw dumpy bags (80 x 80 x 80) seasoned hardwood for £75 and un-seasoned for £60

Hi,

When you say £100 per cube, i am right in thinking that is a cubic metre ? loose stacked ?

If i could get near that i would be a very happy bunny indeed ! not sure my customers round here would pay that much for logs, not when guys near me are selling a transit tipper load of reasonable hardwood for £100.

Regards, Rob.

I dont think the timber will ever be worth a fortune due to type of wood and the work involved in extracting it, however it will always have a value of sorts, even if i spend the next three seasons processing it for logs, i have worked out its worth direct to a supplier in nets ...not a fortune but a small profit to be made, and it would also supply me in work during the quieter months.

Genset, please expand on your comment "sprat to catch a mackerel" not sure i follow your line of thinking.

Yes the ash is worth a fortune as is the oak, hence it is my main line of work and not something i would be looking to lose.

Rob.

''small risk or expenditure for a far higher or greater gain'' - Like first thinng in order to get the clear fell over the road...