Experience of Radweld?

djbobbins

Might be worth checking the oil levels. Is it the 3.0 litre one. The head went on our one - she took off, couldn't stop the engine on the key, had to stall the engine in 4th with the brakes full on. Massive clouds of oily smoke and the head knackered. Apparently before they do this they can start "using" water, some of which gets into the oil increasing its level.

Something similar happened to our TD5 Landrover defender - not as common on the landys, very common on the 3.0 litre troopers

common fault when a turbo fails, not as likely to be related to a head fault, i may be wrong thou!!

Edited by robbo 110
beer!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Along with radweld I can think about raw eggs and something that looks like porridge. Mind you, if anyone suggests other breakfast related fixes - e.g. poking a bacon butty and a couple of hash browns into the rad - I might start to think there's a bit of urine extraction going on...:001_tt2:

Good call about keeping another bottle of radweld at hand; will pop back to the shop tomorrow if I get time.

I'll keep an eye on the coolant levels and if I remember to do so will post my experience on here.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet but don’t forget that all this topping up is diluting your anti freeze

Andy

Cheers guys; I have been doing the topping up with 1:1 mix of water and concentrated anti-freeze (so heavy winter mix) - so hopefully at least it won't freeze up.

And for info it's the 3.2 V6 petrol beastie so no turbo to worry about; just the thirst bigger than George Best, Alex Higgins and Oliver Reed on a night out. Before they croaked, obviously.