Boxing Day Hunt Meets

Matthew Arnold

I think Mr jammy dodger has got the right idea here.:thumbup:and all the hunting men on horses should take this into consideration, and take five mins to think about it.

I am sure the Cod in the sea would rather get whacked on the head with a priest than die from suffocation or by being crushed on a trawler. Perhaps the people about to buy fish and chips should take five minutes to think about that before they buy their next supper.

I think that's called forcing your opinions on others.

I agree with Bomag, people should admit to enjoying it. Sadly this can't happen as you would be stereotyped as a blood lusting devil and hounded (pardon the pun) by those with morals that they must share.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was hard to let people know what was going on as it was a complicated stiuation at the kennels and was surrounded bu a lot of violant people - some of them were part of the chelsie hed hunters so people who are up for a fight and this was talked about openley!!

I did blow the whistle which caused a huge bust up. The kennels were shared with another pack and the beagles had to move out. The hounds are now to my knowlege better looked after but all people involved are still in hunt service.

Once the whistle was blown so to speak I was threatened with all sorts of violance If i was to turn up at a meet.

pro hunters will protect this sport and a sport is all it is its nothing more with there life.

Chelsea Head Hunters at the local Hunt meet, I wasn't expecting that.

I now have images that you have been talking about a different type of hunting, urban fox hunting. Where the Chelsea Head Hunters drive around in their Max Power Nova's wearing Burberry baseball caps with a pack of Staffies chasing a Fox chanting "your going get your f'in head kicked in, init"

:lol:

The biggest problem was the vermin control arguement, as a form of vermin control it wasnt great, a hi-bred fox was bred through the removal of the weak.

If the Hunt admitted they did it because they enjoyed it, they would of won more respect from townies.

Terriers, vermin drives and the rifle are the best form of fox control.

I fully support the right to hunt, but some of the practices are not in the best interest of hunting itself. The dogs cant be blamed, they are just doing what comes naturally.

Agree there Bomag.

Arborist, well done mate. By blowing the whistle you will at least have improved things for the dogs, and it must have taken guts surrounded by violent cowardly scum like that.

As I said I can and do, shoot more foxes in one night with the rifle than a hunt can kill in a week, but I had to :001_rolleyes: when I did a course run by the British Deer society and in their training manual for deer stalkers 2010 on page 221 is said under the title Team Work

"Shoot foxes if required/ Dont if the local hunt is active :lol:"

What it comes down to is that fox hunting isnt a good method of controling foxes and never has been its about money power and tradition.

Im telling you and its a fact. The main reason hunting gets as much support as it does is because people that partake in other country persuits where there is thought to be an eliment of cruelty whether its shooting fishing ferreting falconry or what ever, think they will be next on the list (THATS THE BOTTOM LINE ON IT)

Saw a good window sticker once that said!

"For fox sake stop hunting" :biggrin:

Long term it did improve things for the hounds, we started off with about 35 couple and over 1 seastn lost 10 couple through fighting in kennels which is partley brought on though bad management and routine and then because the hounds had to move the pack was basicley whittled down, shot at point balnk range between the eyes to a much smaller number and then drafted hounds in from other packs to start a new breeding program.

Then you are looking for the right type of hound, not to many bitch pups and any with wonky legs have a swift blow to the head and killed.

Also there is the ear tattooing which is basicly a large pair of pliers with metal pads on, to which you put spiked letters/numbers to which corispond to the pack and year born. the set we had the spikes were covered in rust so I had to clean with wire wool and wd40. you then wipe the young pups ear with blue ink and squeeze the handles together untill all points penetrate throught the hounds ear, all this done without any pain relife.

I partook in this and have seen small pups go lifeless and nearly die of shock which i regret now.

The thing was I started seeing things and in my head i started to question what was going on but then you see somthing a lot worse which makes what you origionly saw seen trivial and on and on it goes.

Also since football violance has been clamped down on these thugs have joined hunts and act as 'supivisors' not at all hunts but some.

I can garantee that if most people who went on boxingday as something to do saw the real side of hunting they wouldnt like it!

I am sure the Cod in the sea would rather get whacked on the head with a priest than die from suffocation or by being crushed on a trawler. Perhaps the people about to buy fish and chips should take five minutes to think about that before they buy their next supper.

I think that's called forcing your opinions on others.

its even worse when good cod after being suffocted get thrown back to sea because the trawler has reached its quoter for that species and gets a fine if they bring them back. Now thats a waste and besides fish only have a three second memory.

I'm not forcing my opinion on others! I'm just saying I would rather be shot compared with bieng hunted for half a day and then munched by a load of dogs.

I'm sure the fox would rather that 2

which would you rather?

Arborist i dont know which hunt you were in service with but it sure aint like the hunts ive had experience of.Ive done terrier work for 3 different packs and kennelhand for 1 and never come across the things you are claiming or to the extent you are claiming.I would say you have been hanging around with the wrong people.Or are blowing things up out of all proportion.

Eg ear tattoing,i tattoo all my dogs including adults and most rarely even yelp let alone go into shock and die,its no more traumatic than having your ears pierced.

And the KH who puts beagles down with a pitch fork? Why would he do that when its quicker,easier and more humane to use the humane killer which im sure they would have had?

As for putting hounds down with gun,yes this is common practice as it is with horses,greyhounds and bull calves because they cost more to feed than they would fetch at market.

And to those who think hunting with hounds isnt a valuable form of pest control have you tried lamping foxes in the Welsh mountains with the forestry blocks etc or heavily wooded areas? Sure you will shoot foxes but there will be plenty more that you never see till the hounds draw through.

Wazz Nothing that I have said has been exagerated at all, so doing terriers youve never done or been inolved with badger digging no? well it was talked about openly with some of the terriermen and other people i knew, what this dog was for what he had done ect.

Most hunts know what any other has done gets up to through the grape vine so im supprised that you didnt here it was about 5 yrs ago.

Most of the pups wernt affected apart from pissing on me when i held them by the tattooing but thet happened to the pup i mentioned. But I still think its a bit barbaric and its nothing like an ear pirceing gun and any way people who have there ears pierced have the choice unlike the hounds. Plus i said nearly die we thought we had sost them. When I was involved with the tattooing it was with the masters who cared and it still nearly went wrong.

The Guy that pitched forked the hounds was there a couple of years before i started and was told what had happened by the masters.