sharpening chains

David Riding

Not sure if I will make my self look slightly stupid but here goes.... Chains are that cheap for a 15" husky that I have become a bit lazy recently and instead of resharpening every time have just stuck a new chain on. I have loads of chains per saw now and need to do a bulk sharpening. Is there a quick set up you can have where you dont have to put chain on the saw to sharpen. I know its not exaclty time consuming to put each one back on the saw but I like saving time.

Hi, has anyone shown you Multicut chain from Oregon ? it allows you to cut longer in dirty wood applications and still file as normal. This may help your groundie when having to deal with contaminated cord wood and brash rolled in mud.

Muliticut is triple chromed and available in most sizes from M91VX,M95VP,M21LP,M22LP,M73LP to M75LP.

Sharpening chain seems to be easily accepted by some and avoided like the plague by others, the "watch the chip size reduce old method" then 3 rubs of a file across all teeth works and has done for 60 years. Of course damaging teeth causes extra filing and spare chains then become cost effective whilst on the job. The solution for sharpening off the saw without using a chain bench grinder is to use a filing clamp in a vise available in 12" & 14" Oregon also make these.

If you are cutting hard woods use semi chisel or chipper chain like BP & now BPX and DP these are more forgiving of poor filing and offer longer sharp life before filing, soft wood cutting is best with LP chisel chain for speed of cut.

Rained offf days spent maintaining your saw and sharpening chains is investing for future jobs the number of costly repairs due to loose fasteners could be reduced if operators checked equipment daily.

How many on this forum had old hand teachers who made them sharpen, oil and check each night before they went home as it was nearly always still dark when they started out the next day and on a frosty morning they rather have a coffee in their hands first things than a file and scrench.

I know several contractors who if an employee puts a saw in the ground is made to either make good and or pay for it.

Hope this may be of help to you.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cnt understand how you could manage with a groundsman who could'nt use a saw. If you are dismantling in a tight area and lowering big lumps do you climb down after each piece to cut it up before climbing back up for the next one?!!! Surely madness.

Also replacing each blunt cain with a new one!!! they're no that cheap.

Climbing with no rescue climber again madness, i dont want the last thing i ever see to be a bunch of firemen scratching their arses trying to figure out how to get me down. If you're in any doubt about this who do yo think can climb a tree quicker: you or fireman sam? how much training do you think they have done for this? Remember no one thinks they're going to have an acident but they still happen.

I cnt understand how you could manage with a groundsman who could'nt use a saw. If you are dismantling in a tight area and lowering big lumps do you climb down after each piece to cut it up before climbing back up for the next one?!!! Surely madness.

Not every one lowers big lumps, some of us (or mayby just me)cut up everything into "chip-able" brash or fire wood up the tree.It's not the way most wish to work and thats fine, the last thing I would want to do is tell others how to work, as I have said before "each to their own".

My way works for me, and you don't find me posting in the "I'm making no money" threads :001_cool:

Climbing with no rescue climber again madness, i dont want the last thing i ever see to be a bunch of firemen scratching their arses trying to figure out how to get me down. If you're in any doubt about this who do yo think can climb a tree quicker: you or fireman sam? how much training do you think they have done for this? Remember no one thinks they're going to have an acident but they still happen.

Do you drive?

Go on the Motorway?

Why are HGV drivers not required to have a co-driver?

Not every one lowers big lumps, some of us (or mayby just me)cut up everything into "chip-able" brash or fire wood up the tree.

That's how i work where I can and I make a brash pile to drop everything onto. That way I can drop most of the tree without the need for lowering and you can have a tree down in half the time.

I must admit though, there's a lot of one handed cutting and holding :sneaky2:

Your quite wright, buts thats how I am, sorry :thumbdown:

I have had more staff in the past, I used to have another team with another climber, but I just had continual hassle, bumping my motors, recking my gear and treating me like they were doing me a favor by coming in.

I was also sued by some one who climbed over a fence, (with out being asking)he broke his leg and apparently it was my fault as I had not trained him to climbing fences:confused1:.

So I decided that all skilled or dangerous work would be done by me.

In my defense when I recruited I advertised for a laborer and made the situation clear, I pay well and he is happy, as am I.

I am excatly the same, ecspecially when you have expensive kit. However i do let my groundie use a saw when necessarry :)

Do you drive?

Go on the Motorway?

Why are HGV drivers not required to have a co-driver?

I think since the co driver would also be in the truck, in the event of an accident he would not be much use.

As you say each unto his own, in fact the majority of jobs could be done as you describe but you must occasionaly wish you had a good grounsman who can fell, cross cut etc.

This is one I started on friday, the last of four we are taking down, there is only a smal target area due to various walls and a couple of manhole covers i have lowered pieces as big as i can, by the time the lads gave got them cut up and dragged away i'm ready to lower the next one. Doing it all in hand held pieces or lowering dragable bits would have taken ages.

Image023.jpg.cae2b5e4957ae1806be69947de965205.jpg

Image022.jpg.a289d3379fd61a2008c48faedb8faa6b.jpg

As you say each unto his own, in fact the majority of jobs could be done as you describe but you must occasionaly wish you had a good grounsman who can fell, cross cut etc.

This is one I started on friday, the last of four we are taking down, there is only a smal target area due to various walls and a couple of manhole covers i have lowered pieces as big as i can, by the time the lads gave got them cut up and dragged away i'm ready to lower the next one. Doing it all in hand held pieces or lowering dragable bits would have taken ages.

I don't want to be rude, but that one would be an easy take down, less than a day. While I dismantled it my man would have it dragged and chipped.