sharpening chains

David Riding

Another advantage being the only person on site to use a saw, is that I don't need to mark up my saw's with their maximum usage time, and don't need to monitor each mans exposer to vibration, but I'm sure all off you guys are doing that.

Rich Rules, I would be "interested" to know if YOU do this ??????????????????????????????????????:001_tongue:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the legal requirements I dont think having a groundie with aerial rescue Is all that important. If you injure yourself bad enough to warrant a rescue then your probably gonna be dead before he gets there!

A groundie with aeriel rescue that doesnt climb on a daily basis is gonna be very very slow tbh. If I have a fornight off it usually takes a day or 2 to get back into it.:001_smile:

Apart from the legal requirements I dont think having a groundie with aerial rescue Is all that important. If you injure yourself bad enough to warrant a rescue then your probably gonna be dead before he gets there!

I have to agree to some extent, it's rather like having an ambulance following you incase you have a car crash.

It is a risky job yes, but thankfully, serious life threatening injuries are not too common.

Rich Rules, I would be "interested" to know if YOU do this ??????????????????????????????????????:001_tongue:

As i only sub contract to other companies and do not have employees working directly for me there is no one to monitor, other than myself.

I have been monitored in the past when working direct for companies under their H&S policy. If I need to do this for myself then would be interested to be directed to the information covering it. If this is the case then I will be pleased to learn something new - afterall that is one of the reason why I find this forum so useful.:001_cool:

cheers.:

As i only sub contract to other companies and do not have employees working directly for me there is no one to monitor, other than myself.

I have been monitored in the past when working direct for companies under their H&S policy. If I need to do this for myself then would be interested to be directed to the information covering it. If this is the case then I will be pleased to learn something new - afterall that is one of the reason why I find this forum so useful.:001_cool:

cheers.:

:biggthumpup:

If you have an employee climbing then yes, but as it's my firm and I climb there is no requirement, and even the HSE have no problem with it as I have asked them.

If someone in the HSE has told you this, it is totally at odds with other stuff they are publishing..

HSE forestry/arb pages

From "Tree Work News June 2008", published as a pdf by the HSE (download from link above)

" Recent enforcement notices

Prohibition notices have been issued covering:

having no one on site capable of carrying out aerial rescue;..." (page 4)

" Best practice for tree-climbing operations

Aerial rescue provision: There must be a second person available equipped, trained and

capable of performing an aerial rescue in the event of an emergency." (page 5)

I'm sure that your public liability is void if you dont have a groundsman capable of aeriel rescue.I aint 100% sure on this though, it may be more like not having any groundsman at all voids it :confused1:

How are the public at risk?????????:confused1::confused1::confused1:

If someone in the HSE has told you this, it is totally at odds with other stuff they are publishing..

HSE forestry/arb pages

From "Tree Work News June 2008", published as a pdf by the HSE (download from link above)

" Recent enforcement notices

Prohibition notices have been issued covering:

having no one on site capable of carrying out aerial rescue;..." (page 4)

" Best practice for tree-climbing operations

Aerial rescue provision: There must be a second person available equipped, trained and

capable of performing an aerial rescue in the event of an emergency." (page 5)

This is about "duty of care" as I said before, if you have an employee or subbie climber you MUST have a climbing groundie with ariel ticket, FTR, I get in a subbie climber with ticket as my rescue man for my LA work or where the contract requires I have a rescue man.