helicoil use

Dean O

If its something that i know is out of my capabilities before I have a go its normally better to get a profesional in to tackle it - normally quicker and cheeper in the long run

Its always difficult to get anything done without having to wait - especially for the little jobs that arent worth their time (and on a weekend in the snow)

Plus we just dont have the time to take the chipper out of action and to somewhere to get these things done in the week.

I'm just too impatient and have to give it ago myself.

besides taking it somewhere and handing it over to some guy with grinder and no particular attachment to the machine probably would have made me cringe way more.

ahh well, sorted now

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks treewolf

popped out today to try and get hold of the right kit to complete the job but couldnt find imperial sizes.

nearest option was m14 fine (for spark plugs)

didnt think it was worth drilling and tapping for m16.

ended up buying some m12 threaded bar and drilling stright through the frame and out the other side to get it sorted for monday.

but thanks for all the help

the threaded bar you will of bought isnt very strong, i dont know how much strain is on it but it may be worth taking a spare bit with you if it is under much tension!!!

just a jockey wheel clamp

I would expect its fine.

I just needed to use the right kit with the right bolt in the first place rather than making it up as i went along.

as soon as i knew that the turns per inch on the tap i used wouldnt match the diameter of the hole created it was obvious that i'd messed it up and would have to find another quick solution.

should have just waited till the week when i could have bought the correct kit rather than rushing it.

ta for all the help tho

• 3 months later...