S/East shooting get together.

Mick Stockbridge

I was brought up with chainsaws rifles and 6 sisters is enought training in my eyes :001_rolleyes:

I had a rather heated conversation with the range conducting officer who was a former armourier in the para, when a group of local school children had an afternoon on the range, when they brought the rifles into the gun room he asked If they were safe a which point all 6 looked directly down the muzzel into the chamber to check for obstructions.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

This was what he had just taught them in their induction his reason for teaching them this as he explained was because it was nt possible to look down the barrel from the chamber because of the telescopic sight.

Words fail me in these situations and that was the last time I went in there. The lasting danger is that for a younge child to be taught this on one rifle will probably remain with them and always be used as a prosedure if they come into contact with a fire arm in the future.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his reason for teaching them this as he explained was because it wasnt possible to look down the barrel from the chamber because of the telescopic sight.

What was he thinking of?

Removing the bolt works for all those who ware members of my club, but we are only vermin and deer shooters (so all rifles are scoped), so what would we know?!!

Infact, we have to remove the bolt when we are not on the firing point.

The worst wepaon handling Ive seen was by a member of Essex Police firearms team, she was waving the rifle all over the place on the firing point. The fact that is was NOT loaded made no difference to us, and we told her so in no uncertain terms!!

i am by no means as experianced with firearms as alot of you are but i am a keen airgun hunter and intend to get my fac one day. my kids are young and id like to think they will share my enthusiasm for shooting. it may sound silly to the layman but im sure most of you will agree with my teaching of gun safety using their toy guns. i dont want to stop them shooting each other with foam bullets but i try to ballance their fun with little basic safe practices such as; never look down the muzzle and never point at anyones face, all rules apply wether loaded or not. i like them to know the difference between there toys and the real thing though and so when my rifle is out they adhere to strict rules. i am happy for them to use my rifle with me so long as they follow the rules otherwise they have to stay in doors.

i am by no means as experianced with firearms as alot of you are but i am a keen airgun hunter and intend to get my fac one day. my kids are young and id like to think they will share my enthusiasm for shooting. it may sound silly to the layman but im sure most of you will agree with my teaching of gun safety using their toy guns. i dont want to stop them shooting each other with foam bullets but i try to ballance their fun with little basic safe practices such as; never look down the muzzle and never point at anyones face, all rules apply wether loaded or not. i like them to know the difference between there toys and the real thing though and so when my rifle is out they adhere to strict rules. i am happy for them to use my rifle with me so long as they follow the rules otherwise they have to stay in doors.

Good on you Dave! :thumbup:

Dave, if you fancy teaching the kids some fieldcraft or even a camping trip and campfire you're welcome to use the woods.