S/East shooting get together.

Mick Stockbridge

Where do you shoot Dean ? "Sangin"

Haha...sorry that should have been nearly shot at point blank twice not once :biggrin:

I've shot all my life and have been a shoot captain for about 9 years, my shoot if one of the safest there is. However, I have been on many shoots where safety is obviously second place to paying gun satisfaction.

I am a firm believer that to own a shotgun or firearm certificate, you should have to attend a course on safety, ballistics and handling.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a firm believer that to own a shotgun or firearm certificate, you should have to attend a course on safety, ballistics and handling.

The west yorkshire FLO is a firm believer in this as well. He was more than happy that I had done DSC1 before issuing my FAC, especially for the bigger calibers.

Yeah your right, I did my BDS DSC level 1 before I applied for my .243 funny as the only person to fail the safety and markmanship was a serving member of the Marines, Bit of a Tim Tim nice but dim. Got a 270 wsm put on my ticket but as work isnt as profitable as I would have liked this year I ve put it on the back burner :thumbdown:

I served a stalking "apprenticeship" if you like. From aged 8-14 I went stalking once or twice a week but never raised a loaded rifle at anything living. I started shooting targets at about 10 with a rifle but was already a pretty good shotgunner, out most days after school shooting vermin.

I would argue that "my way" of learning stalking is much more effective than DSC1/2 yet the police often fail to recognise it as equal/above. Having done DMQ and also helped in the training of it it strikes me as two things - 1) A get rich quick exercise for BDS, BASC etc 2) A pay-and-pass kind of affair.

I think its a real shame because it has great scope. :001_rolleyes:.

When it comes to dangerous shooting I have three words. French. Italian & American. :sneaky2:

Sam

Quite agree or have done at least a couple of years in the forces where weapons handling would have been a day to day occurrence.

Yes and no.

I have guided a 3 ex service men (and a woman) stalking.

I took two of them out at the same time, both Gurkha chaps. They had impeccable manners, skill and respect to the quarry. One shot a roebuck and one a fox.

The third was a Tank man (cant remember the regiment :blushing:). After ripping my rifle (an aged Parker Hale .270) He failed to achieve the 3" at 100m accuracy test that I ask guests to shoot before taking them out on live quarry. On his second attempt he managed (Just). In fairness I should have sent him home there and then, but I thought I owed him something. We went out and stalked, a do presented herself for a broadside shot at about 70m and I asked him if he was confident to take a heart/lung shot. He said "F**k that lad, I can shoot a "P***" in the head I can do it with a deer". Despite my swearing, look of horror and attempt

to stop him he shot the jaw clean off the beast. He was happy with the shot. I found the beast and put it out of its misery after 2 hours of spoor tracking through the snow. He wasn't invited back and alas I dont take "Im in the army" as proof someone can shoot anymore.

Its a different ball game. Safety side as well.

Sam

With you all the way there Sam:thumbup1:

I was nt asked by the FLO to do the Dsc1 I wanted to do it for my own sake and I learnt alot. Having said that and now im going to drop the bomb I ve never done any chainsaw courses.

Don't worry about it, just use common sense as you would with firearms.

I watched a fully trained operative check chain tension with the brake on but still with the motor runnning. Christ it's like standing with your hands on the muzzle of a loaded weapon and relying on the safety catch to work.

Don't worry about it, just use common sense as you would with firearms.

I watched a fully trained operative check chain tension with the brake on but still with the motor runnning. Christ it's like standing with your hands on the muzzle of a loaded weapon and relying on the safety catch to work.

Ive always done that :confused1: Never thought anything of it really...