353 vs 346

tractormatt

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be buying the best protection available mate, i would rather have better protection than a better saw! The next class up in saws engine wise is a must i would say Matt from what you have said you will be doing. Big difference between my 346 and 357.

And as for stihl not having anything to touch the 346, the new ms261 should take care of that... :D

I have seen the 261, Has anyone used this model and would this be 16" as well, if so what are your thoughts. I use an old stihl 024 occasionally of grandads with a 16" which i quite like but after 17 years it is probably getting past its best. Does anyone know the chain speed on the 261 as class 2 protection is about £100 more in the husqvarna stuff they do not seem to do simple class 2 stihl stuff only seems to be hi flex and x fit stuff

Matt

2nd earlier comments re 365. For a logging saw with flexibility on bar size + the £'s its a great saw.

Had mine nicked earlier this year and couldn't afford to replace it on the insurance payout. I used it a lot for sectioning down with a 24" bar on, not the fastest but fast enough and a lot easier to handle than 460!

I have seen the 261, Has anyone used this model and would this be 16" as well, if so what are your thoughts. I use an old stihl 024 occasionally of grandads with a 16" which i quite like but after 17 years it is probably getting past its best. Does anyone know the chain speed on the 261 as class 2 protection is about £100 more in the husqvarna stuff they do not seem to do simple class 2 stihl stuff only seems to be hi flex and x fit stuff

Matt

Have a look on ebay mate for your protection etc, It is extremely better quality, the cheaper things are uncomfortable and like you say, basic. The hi flex are really good imo. The 261 is will be somewhere around that of the 346, both roughly 50cc saws so they won't be much difference. If you are set on that size saw then go for the 346xp or ms261. I have felled, snedded and bucked some approximately 19inch - 20inch willow today and it didn't like it much. That was using Stihl RSC chain too which is quite an aggressive chain. My 346 seems to get bogged down quite alot in the cut, where as the 357 just keeps cutting. I can imagine the 365 even more so! Obviously alot of difference between the 346 and the 365 size wise, but if you're not bothered about weight then bigger the better, no replacement for displacement!

Does the saw have to be new? I picked up a bargain ms260 from gumtree for £150. Also got my 357 from ebay for £221. I would consider used as you could get a bit bigger saw for less money and have more money to spend on better PPE. Although there is nothing quite like having a new spanking saw in your hand!! My 346 was new and i felt like a king with it, lol.

Also consider makita saws, they are excellent saws, cut really well, brilliant value compared to the equivalent husqvarna and stihl models and made really really well with full professional build on the higher end saws.

Good luck.

Edited by minnnt