22m alder dismantle

testcricket01

Its fascinating watching how others work in the tree. I have been climbing for 25 years and it has been a lonely place to work. Technology, such as your helmet cam, is great for comparing notes, methods and stimulating conversation.

I wonder how long it will be before someone with a health and safety remit pushes for prosecution based on self-posted video evidence? That is not a finger pointing exercise at your working methods - I could see no wrong.

I did notice, looking at the trunk, that you were stabbing your gaffs in quite a few times in the same place. Have you tried longer gaffs or sharpened yours to get a good placement first time? Sometimes leaving 4 inch pegs on the stem can give you plenty to stand on and speed things up as you feel more secure.

Your rigging system meant you were cutting very close to your lowering line on several occasions, even when it was loaded with several stems. Very brave considering the entire profit from the job could be lost by cutting into your lowering line.

I agree with others about dropping the stem - vegetable genocide :lol:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its fascinating watching how others work in the tree. I have been climbing for 25 years and it has been a lonely place to work. Technology, such as your helmet cam, is great for comparing notes, methods and stimulating conversation.

I wonder how long it will be before someone with a health and safety remit pushes for prosecution based on self-posted video evidence? That is not a finger pointing exercise at your working methods - I could see no wrong.

I did notice, looking at the trunk, that you were stabbing your gaffs in quite a few times in the same place. Have you tried longer gaffs or sharpened yours to get a good placement first time? Sometimes leaving 4 inch pegs on the stem can give you plenty to stand on and speed things up as you feel more secure.

Your rigging system meant you were cutting very close to your lowering line on several occasions, even when it was loaded with several stems. Very brave considering the entire profit from the job could be lost by cutting into your lowering line.

I agree with others about dropping the stem - vegetable genocide :lol:

have always been into watching others work up a tree so i thought only fair to share how i do things also. i have tryed long gaffs cant get on with them at all. my short gaffs werent long enough kept not going through the bark and just slipping, smack them in a few times they stay in :thumbup1:

interesting point with who watches them though i find it makes me more disaplined to do things by the book which cant be a bad thing. :001_smile:

• 3 months later...

Nicely edited video.

Was the timber staying in the back garden?

If not I would have chogged the stem down by hand into liftable bits instead of pulling it over big bits at a time. That way the groundy would have had it all on the truck by the time you got down, would have saved anything hitting the lawn too.

Also after breakfast it looked as if you would have been faster handing that out as the branches had dried and everything near the top was tiny anyway? Not criticising as your method looked good too, just comparing notes.

Just one other thing, why do you sink cut everything? There were two branches in that video I would have put sink cuts in, the side one you cradled at 4:40 ish and the top. Other that that just slash them or maybe a step cut. None of the branches were big enough to warrant a sink (trapped saw, splitting out etc), especially as you have all the control you need with a rigging line on it and direction and weight were not the issue.

Again not a criticism just wondering if I am missing something.

Cheers

Jonathan

im far from the quickest at rigging, im only 20 and have only 4 years climbing experience. :thumbup1:

You might only be 20 but keep working like that and you will be very very good in a few more years. Only comment is that I wouldn't bother trying to cradle some of those limbs. More chance of the butt swinging back into you

Edited by gibbon

Nicely edited video.

Was the timber staying in the back garden?

If not I would have chogged the stem down by hand into liftable bits instead of pulling it over big bits at a time. That way the groundy would have had it all on the truck by the time you got down, would have saved anything hitting the lawn too.

Also after breakfast it looked as if you would have been faster handing that out as the branches had dried and everything near the top was tiny anyway? Not criticising as your method looked good too, just comparing notes.

Just one other thing, why do you sink cut everything? There were two branches in that video I would have put sink cuts in, the side one you cradled at 4:40 ish and the top. Other that that just slash them or maybe a step cut. None of the branches were big enough to warrant a sink (trapped saw, splitting out etc), especially as you have all the control you need with a rigging line on it and direction and weight were not the issue.

Again not a criticism just wondering if I am missing something.

Cheers

Jonathan

You might only be 20 but keep working like that and you will be very very good in a few more years. Only comment is that I wouldn't bother trying to cradle some of those limbs. More chance of the butt swinging back into you

hi jonathan the branches at the top were cut and chuckable but the branches were covered in slime and we had a day to remove it it just wasnt worth the risk, also slows down work so groundy isnt swamped on the floor :thumbup1:

as for the sink cuts only thing i can think is habit of doing it on almost everything, plus when im recording i try my best to be by the book as it were cheers for watching though :001_smile:

cheers for that gibbon, ive got reg coates coming to help me on my first crane job end of april so ill learn a lifes worth from him :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...
job was dismantle this 22m alder had fence and green house and chicken coop and vegtable plants under it. in the end we sacrificed a couple of veg plants.

shame its abit same old same old with the video but maybe someone will enjoy it :001_smile:

YouTube - alder dismantle.mpg

and yes alot of the video has been speeded up cause its pretty boring stuff :001_smile:

Love it :thumbup: