4x4?

Mike Hill

Both engines were 2.4's the first one non turbo, the second one turboed.

One thing in it's defense though, it never did fail to start, even when it was dying both times.

There was a few 2.8 crew cabs kicking about over here a few years ago but not many.

I did fancy taking the 3ltr turbo engine out of a surf and making it fit the old hilux but never got round to it.

That would have been nice.Some of the Trials Trucks back home have V8's from Lexus in them,or Lexi as Alan Partridge said.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting thread.

I would have one of those toyota pick ups over a defender if they were availabl over here. The jap offerings in Gb are just not man enough for the job in my opinion. For some reason al the jap pick ups seem to be made on chassis that are a joke- the rear aend of hiluxes are made from pissy little channel, and IIRC the back of an isuzu trooper is paper thin 4x2 box section. Yet they build the Landcruiser like a battle ship and fill it with seats.

Although they have a reputation for ultra reliability, I dont find this to be the case. Once these jap things are put to HARD work day in day out they fail in spectacularly expensive ways, and on the sterength issue again, I bent my hilux in the middle.

I have to say that i believe landrovers have an excellent engine and drivetrain, but is a victimof its own ruggedness- the attitude being that they will take anything you throw at them , and therefore do so, resulting in abuse and subsequent necessary repair. How i see it is that in the UK if you want what is basically a glorified tractor you get a landrover, if you want a glorified car that has 4x4 you get a hilux. If you want a cheap 4x4 you buy a ranger or l200 etc.

Where landrover fall down is all the crap they bolt onto it- rubbish electrics, poor quality interior fittings and bodywork fabrication.

I am thiking about replacing the chassis of my defender in the next 12-24 months with a galvy one. The garage said it would be better built, as LandRover build with a 1/2 " tolerance!!!! In a car (and jap 4x4 etc etc)these tolerances are fractions of millimetres, thus with landrovers you get the famous leaks and draughts etc etc. I went wading with my bro in his landcruiser and the water was over the windows, yet none came in. WTF are LR playing at.

This is the point- with a defender you are buying a glorified tractor, end of- refinements havent been discovered at Lode lane yet!

When I decided to replace my old landy I was determined to buy jap. I had been there and goth the T shirt re landys and I decided I wanted something comfortable and reliable. One by one I had to eliminate all the other jap makes as they had such crap towing weights. In the end I came back to tha landy and TBH I haven't regretted it one bit. Many of the anoying things that the old landy had, such as its noisy draughty leaky cab are not there on the new one so its not so bad to drive.

Having said that if a landcruiser commercial such as the one pictured was available in the uk for LR money I'd probably have bought it.

On the reliability front I can only compare my landy with other vehicles that I "know"

My landy has had: A fuel common rail releif valve replaced, a new vacuum pump, and an egr valve.

My dad runs a few 4x4's (bought new) for salesman and fitters they are worked hard towing like my landy, his experiences have been as follows

Nissan terrano 2.7 deisel: ate 2 gearboxes

2X nissan navaras (new shape) ; both had rear axles and other transmission issues, 1 had a clutch before it was 2 years old.

Mitsubishi shogun: engine seized at 60000 miles. £7k repair

I think in the UK market the us trucks aren't sold here, and the decent Toyota isn't either, the landy is the only real option for me. If that Iveco thing wasn't so expensive i'd have one in a heartbeat.:001_smile:

Interesting thread.

I would have one of those toyota pick ups over a defender if they were availabl over here. The jap offerings in Gb are just not man enough for the job in my opinion. For some reason al the jap pick ups seem to be made on chassis that are a joke- the rear aend of hiluxes are made from pissy little channel, and IIRC the back of an isuzu trooper is paper thin 4x2 box section. Yet they build the Landcruiser like a battle ship and fill it with seats.

Although they have a reputation for ultra reliability, I dont find this to be the case. Once these jap things are put to HARD work day in day out they fail in spectacularly expensive ways, and on the sterength issue again, I bent my hilux in the middle.

I have to say that i believe landrovers have an excellent engine and drivetrain, but is a victimof its own ruggedness- the attitude being that they will take anything you throw at them , and therefore do so, resulting in abuse and subsequent necessary repair. How i see it is that in the UK if you want what is basically a glorified tractor you get a landrover, if you want a glorified car that has 4x4 you get a hilux. If you want a cheap 4x4 you buy a ranger or l200 etc.

Where landrover fall down is all the crap they bolt onto it- rubbish electrics, poor quality interior fittings and bodywork fabrication.

I am thiking about replacing the chassis of my defender in the next 12-24 months with a galvy one. The garage said it would be better built, as LandRover build with a 1/2 " tolerance!!!! In a car (and jap 4x4 etc etc)these tolerances are fractions of millimetres, thus with landrovers you get the famous leaks and draughts etc etc. I went wading with my bro in his landcruiser and the water was over the windows, yet none came in. WTF are LR playing at.

This is the point- with a defender you are buying a glorified tractor, end of- refinements havent been discovered at Lode lane yet!

I think Landrover have come up with some great Engines,the 200 and 300 tdi donks are reliable and deliver sufficient horsepower up to the 110".

I don't agree with you on the drivetrain statement,gearboxes have never been a strong point of the Green Oval.Along with Oil Seals.

Most of the breakages I have seen/done to 4X4's has been down to poor driving.Mainly hitting things to fast or tramping the Axels in events of intermediate traction.

Totally agree with the engine bit and the breakages- it is usually abuse as you say.

Thinking about it the r380 gearbox is pretty w ank, in fact since the series 2a they havent really developed a truly tough gerabox, I mean it is pretty much accepted that at 80000 miles your main box is on borrowed time unles you only ever use your truck as a car.

they are, however, EXTREMELY cheap to replace.

Edited by tommer9

When I decided to replace my old landy I was determined to buy jap. I had been there and goth the T shirt re landys and I decided I wanted something comfortable and reliable. One by one I had to eliminate all the other jap makes as they had such crap towing weights. In the end I came back to tha landy and TBH I haven't regretted it one bit. Many of the anoying things that the old landy had, such as its noisy draughty leaky cab are not there on the new one so its not so bad to drive.

Having said that if a landcruiser commercial such as the one pictured was available in the uk for LR money I'd probably have bought it.

On the reliability front I can only compare my landy with other vehicles that I "know"

My landy has had: A fuel common rail releif valve replaced, a new vacuum pump, and an egr valve.

My dad runs a few 4x4's (bought new) for salesman and fitters they are worked hard towing like my landy, his experiences have been as follows

Nissan terrano 2.7 deisel: ate 2 gearboxes

2X nissan navaras (new shape) ; both had rear axles and other transmission issues, 1 had a clutch before it was 2 years old.

Mitsubishi shogun: engine seized at 60000 miles. £7k repair

I think in the UK market the us trucks aren't sold here, and the decent Toyota isn't either, the landy is the only real option for me. If that Iveco thing wasn't so expensive i'd have one in a heartbeat.:001_smile:

Cock on mate.:thumbup1:

My previous land rover main gearbox (LT77) and transfer box (r230) did 425K miles wile i had it, the engine was replaced at 60K (when i got it) so did 365K miles with a Peugeot 2.5N/a, and in 1995 it got written off so I bought it back and put a new chassis and axels under it as well as 2 wings and a bulkhead, hence reaching the mileage it did when I sold it, it is still used every day by its currant owner who is a friend, though he put a 200tdi engine in it as he didn’t like the Peugeot 2.5N/a, though my self I prefer Peugeot 2.5 to LR 200/300tdi because of the Peugeot’s flat rating and willingness to pull at any RPM.