4x4?

Mike Hill

Over the years I have owned or driven many 4X4's,often in places you could and did use them for what they were designed for and sometimes beyond what they were capable of.

As a rule,I have found the Japanese and American Vehicles to be the most reliable.From the Suzuki SJ413 to Dodge Rams or my current Chev Suburban the Japanese and American Vehicles have the edge in reliability.

I think this is because of two reasons,one in the case of the Japanese vehicles is that they spent the time developing their Vehicles and delivering specific models aimed at different parts of the market.For example the Toyota Hilux utility and Surf series then the Landcruiser FJ70 and Troop carrier.Two pickups and two Passenger Vehicles from the same company,but with up sized components,not stretched Chassis like you encounter in other Marks.

With regard to the American Vehicles,they tend to be over built and have large simple Engines with a long and proven track record.Example the Chev 6.2 V8 has remained the same since its introduction in 1982 and is still available as a crated Engine from the Factory.Their Robustness comes as a weight penalty off road,but it is important to remember the Tracks and "Lanes" in North America are often wide enough to accomadate these Vehicles and much of North America is temperate.

I do have a soft spot for Landrovers,I own a series 2 but with extensive modifications.I would not own a landrover again as a work vehicle.I think that their cult following in the UK is mainly due to them being the most serviceable off roader available at a decent price.I wonder how many landrover fans would convert if these were available for £5000?

crusier.jpg.cb4465f795b46c45084b88657a3185d1.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd really like one of the pickups liek that - I think there's an american company making somethign similar under licence now (called IKON I think) which look smart too.

Think best vehicle I ever owned was an old HJ62 Landcruiser and I'd really really love to get another. 4ltr 6cyl diesel, no turbo, no fancy electrics but would still cruise all day on the motorway at 70 on not much more than a fast tickover and was far more economical than the 4.2td ones.

Been seriously giving some thought to importing a mint one from Japan or Australia.

Only pic I can find of the old one

DSCN0134sm.JPG.0c0999be46b885272cf030d0b8037615.JPG

we used to have a 70 series tipper with arb winch bar and bigger wheels with a 1000litre bunded tank in the back for taking diesel out to the skidders and like you say reliable as hell and would go most places. Nissan patrol utes were a good tough truck tho cramped in the cab

I'm a short arse so I'd love a big ol patrol ute!

Can't be as cramped as a LR and must pull like a freight train!

Two nice Trucks there Chris.The conversion looks very well thought out.

The 2H Engine you had in your Crusier is a good one.Its hard to find an old Crusier like yours without alot of Rust in it here.They fetch good money here even with 400K on the clock!

I have a 3B Engine and gearbox out of a Cruiser in my Series2 back home.

Its all to do really with what you intend to do and ware your going.

I know a couple of people from around the world who have both LC & LR at their disposal and they recon both have there uses and there strengths lie in different places hence the need for both, but most will use the LR for extremes of terrain or ware this is going to be lots of harmonic corrugation (washboard road surface) or know they will incur damage on whatever vehicle they take, but at other times they prefer the LC.

If you weight the above up logically leaf-springs vs. coil-springs and linkage, or welded body vs. bolt together or good reliability but high parts cost vs. being a bit less reliable but much cheaper parts cost.

If I owned Land Rover I would have approached things a little like a truck maker would have used a remote transfer box, galvanised chassis from the factory, forged one piece rover axel casing (as per the mil-spec ones made by LR Australia in the past) then offer engine and transmission options from different manufactures so down the life of the vehicle it would be easy to re-power with different engines + transmission dependent on the market it was sold in.

If LR had done the above in 1985 by now they would have the ultimate <3.5t GVW 4x4 that would sell well the world over. :001_rolleyes: