A form of identifying stolen gear

ben lightfoot

Ok so poor title i know but is there some form of records that can be resourced by the public to find out if gear is stolen similar to buying a car or a trailer you can find out if they are stolen. Or is it all just kept by the police if reported that is? Just think it would be a good idea so when items are put on gaybay or when oh my tree surgeon mate is selling up and getting rid of his gear conveniently half price brand new:sneaky2:. If there is nothing in place maybe some organisation might want to take charge say the aa? And before anyone complains i know it would be a full time job to take on what with all the thieving just a suggestion

We have security stickers on our tools. They leave a chemical imprint that is specific to the place i work and we have a big excel spreadsheet of the tools, serial numbers and security tags. Only we have gone a step further and etched/soldered the security numbers and serial numbers into the plastic on the air filter cover. We also lock them in place in the back of our trucks.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so poor title i know but is there some form of records that can be resourced by the public to find out if gear is stolen similar to buying a car or a trailer you can find out if they are stolen. Or is it all just kept by the police if reported that is? Just think it would be a good idea so when items are put on gaybay or when oh my tree surgeon mate is selling up and getting rid of his gear conveniently half price brand new:sneaky2:. If there is nothing in place maybe some organisation might want to take charge say the aa? And before anyone complains i know it would be a full time job to take on what with all the thieving just a suggestion

Hi

Having seen the effects of a dealer being wiped out many times by theft as well as many Arb/Forestry/Landscapers it is a growing problem which can ruin good businesses and some don't recover from.

Now on my travels i have had many discussions with the main dealers which have come up with a few suggestions

1, A national register with all machinery stamped with the supplier postcode and a serial number from the dealer and the buyers postcode. This to be used when for instance a saw goes in for repair in the North that has a Southern postcode stamped on it, this would alert the dealer to contact the supplying dealer who would have been alerted to the theft.

Several large dealers like the idea, some would be worried as to how they might suffer for reporting someone who was handling stolen goods, others said that if the dealers stuck together and denied service parts to the stolen goods it would make them less attractive to steal and sell/use.

The big manufacturers should take this up as an effort to help the industry.

Existing machines could then be registered with the supplier as well.

Then if anyone is offered a registered machine outside the area they can check with the supplier dealer before they make a purchase. And no nicked machinery will get a part so will be useless.

Another great anti theft device is a crushable cable which cannot be bolt cropped, used with insurance pin padlocks makes it difficult to get off machines.

Normal chains, padlocks even alarms don't work, the thieves know the police reaction times and have it planned. I have seen dealers Fort Knox their showrooms and then lose the entire wall/roof when they smash their way in.

One great anti theft device for diesel plant/vehicles is the Kosran ECV, an electronic coded valve that shuts off the fuel supply, it's now used by many OEM manufacturers.

Mini trackers will follow but they will only tell you where it's gone, and if thats out of the country whats the chances of getting it back.

A lobby to the government to stop the pansy do gooders CPS from not allowing thieves when caught to be sent to court and be dealt with is my other rant.

Hi

Having seen the effects of a dealer being wiped out many times by theft as well as many Arb/Forestry/Landscapers it is a growing problem which can ruin good businesses and some don't recover from.

Now on my travels i have had many discussions with the main dealers which have come up with a few suggestions

1, A national register with all machinery stamped with the supplier postcode and a serial number from the dealer and the buyers postcode.

There is TER - The National Plant Register - already, as well as Immobilise. My concern would be too many registers and databases; police, HMRC, dealers, manufacturers etc couldn't be expected to check them all. I have the same concerns over the number of systems already in place for marking stuff - datadots, stickers, Smartwater... How is any agency recovering stolen gear to know what to check for? Passing an object under UV light will show Smartwater but oh dear - I marked it with micro datadots!

Without wishing to stifle any private enterprise I think the best chance here lies in a co-ordinated single register run by, unfortunately, Government. ('Unfortunately' because we see all too often how Government runs things). But that doesn't address the problem of marking via any one (or more) of multiple systems. I don't know the answer to that one; pressure from insurers could certainly help (via incentives such as reduced premiums). Lord knows they could do so much more to make life difficult for the industry in stolen goods that exists presently.

• 2 weeks later...
SelectaDNA Forensic Coding

Looks interesting and useful to prevent thefts and trace items stolen.

I am now using this on some work items including chainsaws as the kit costs around £14. Simple to use and can also be installed on Cameras/Mobiles/PC's.

Comes with stickers for windows/equipment/buildings to discourage thieves.