New ISA site

Steve Bullman

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dagmar and All

Total Arb is now much improved since Andy Cowen of Arbocoligy fame has taken the post of editor, artical quality has gone up, less or an advertorial... The treenews Mag from the tree council is great proper coffee table sunday read... all in all the isa have a good package, well worth being a full member for the intenationl stuff and book discounts, the ISA book are easy reading and more text book like. If you want to further you arb knowlege with out going to college the ISA cert scheem is great and with the CPD scheem you can prove you are always updateing skills and knowelge if ever the HSE came knocking or worse still a person in a grey wig stated asking questions.

As for the saw they are a good mid range pro saw... not quite the best but have got a shed load neara the mark over the last three years or so.

• 2 weeks later...
Dagmar and All

Total Arb is now much improved since Andy Cowen of Arbocoligy fame has taken the post of editor,

I'd hate to have seen before then! There's not much new in it in fact some of the content is quite old - out of date even. I think that that can't be avoided on a bi-monthly though, so why try and pretend that it's up to date. The problem that I had with this and Essential Arb is that the style is a bit dry, you're being lectured at not talked to, but the high and mighty stance is at odds with the silly jokes in Total Arb that all as old as the hills. These mags must be desperate to have to give them away.

Dagmar and All

Total Arb is now much improved since Andy Cowen of Arbocoligy fame has taken the post of editor,

I'd hate to have seen before then! There's not much new in it in fact some of the content is quite old - out of date even. I think that that can't be avoided on a bi-monthly though, so why try and pretend that it's up to date. The problem that I had with this and Essential Arb is that the style is a bit dry, you're being lectured at not talked to, but the high and mighty stance is at odds with the silly jokes in Total Arb that all as old as the hills. These mags must be desperate to have to give them away.

Dagmar

I think quite a lot of the arb subjects are a little dry and heavy reading a few of the better publications do take time to dig up some real ground breaking stuff that may be of interest to us all.

The internet and forums like Arbtalk do allow us all to transfer info quicker but youv'e got to remember a lot of guys in the industry don't even have a PC. You young'uns have grown up with the internet and computers but the closest older farts like me got to anything technical was an Atari space invaders game at the pub! is Atari and slinkies retro cool yet or should I leave them in the attic?:)

Total Arb is really just the house mag for Buxtons / Arbessentials. Euroarb is a better bet IMO. As an advertiser I'd be interested to know if anyone takes much notice of print anymore. It seems that this sort of forum is the best source of information along with the websites of suppliers and various organisations associated with the industry.

Total Arb is really just the house mag for Buxtons / Arbessentials. Euroarb is a better bet IMO. As an advertiser I'd be interested to know if anyone takes much notice of print anymore. It seems that this sort of forum is the best source of information along with the websites of suppliers and various organisations associated with the industry.

I couldn't agree with you more on several levels ! :)

Running a website myself I'd have to agree !! Internet advertising that hyperlinks to your (well built)website gives potential customers instant access to so much more information about your services or product's than an advert in any publication.

However compared to the 30 odd pages in a trade publication the internet is huge and you need to select very carefully where you advertise .....(my rates are quite competative):hello:

is Atari and slinkies retro cool yet or should I leave them in the attic?:)

Dunno about cool, but I got one of those space invader gadgets of the market a while back, plugs straight in the back of the telly, great fun, plus I can work that, not like these X-box/PSP thingys