1. 1. Do you get paid for snow days?

• paid
    • unpaid

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snow days off!

when i started out i worked for a canadian guy up north - between aberdeen and inverness ( prob most snow in uk every year )

Remember working in white out snow conditions often and freezing all day long.

Option 1 - take day off and sit by warm fire = don't earn wage

Option 2 - Work in the freezing cold = make money.

:thumbdown: We dont do personal jibes on this forum, slating anothers work is frowned upon, please keep it friendly.

Sorry andy didnt mean to upset . sorry Stu hit a bit of a nerve have spent the last few years trying to prove that its not your age its your ablity that counts i didnt mean to get personal . I do have two people on the books and they are both under the age of 21 but they are good at there job .

Snow days = taking 4x4 home and picking up any staff on my way who can't get in. Then scraping snow and ice from tracks and gritting, so we can open as soon as possible. There was one day that i physically couldn't get to work early this year, and that was because wasn't expecting the volume of snow to make every single road for 4 miles impassable with a normal car. Got in the next day though.

If you don't work you don't get anything.... you can insure against loss of earnings either as a company or a individual... Also drawing the line on safety is an issue... As a manager I am reponsible for staff H&S so if its too cold and too dangerous, work has to stop. some staff will work in any conditions especially the less experienced staff.. its difficult to send guy's home if they don't get paid.. we have some wet/cold weather works but its limited... most staff take A/L or unpaid leave..

How do you determine "too cold"? Is there a fixed temperature cut-off point? "Too dangerous"? What is too dangerous for one may be safe for another. How do you assess and make the call? You say the less experienced staff will work on, but surely this is the last thing you need?

Edited by Andy Collins

Sorry andy didnt mean to upset . sorry Stu hit a bit of a nerve have spent the last few years trying to prove that its not your age its your ablity that counts i didnt mean to get personal . I do have two people on the books and they are both under the age of 21 but they are good at there job .

By the time i was 21 i had climbed for nigh on 5 years, and was mustard, its a young mans game, despite what the old dogs tell ya!:001_smile: